MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Here is a little video of Jasper, my Blue Dot Sleeper goby, conveniently named by my girlfriend. He's hard at work on my sand bed, so much so that all the crap that has settled in the past few months has been stirred up and made my water a little cloudy :lol:

Movie link:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/5/24/1108324/Jasper.wmv

Heres a pic

Attachments

• DSC01523.JPG
    DSC01523.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Try this trick that I've done. Unfreeze the mysis and squirt it in a spot in the sand near the goby. When it goes sifting there, it'll eat some. They might not eat it at first, but they will after a few days. If you want, maybe put some selcon or garlic additive in with the mysis. I know they attract them.

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I have a pink-spotted shrimp goby - I believe shrimp goby and sleeper goby are interchanegable common names - lots of personality. At first he would only eat thawed frozen brine shrimp but over a couple of weeks he gradually started to eat everything else - flakes, pellets, frozen - and comes out more and more, especially when I get close to the tank. Try throwing in some other food when you give him the stuff he will eat and he might come to realize that is food too and start eating it.

Edit - Kathy just pointed out that he died. Sorry about the loss. An unidentified little shrimp goby I bought on Friday just died in quarantine too. I left the original post in case it helps others.

Last edited:

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Maybe he had some disease before you got him. I have two, and they eat everything I put in the tank. They do make a mess all over my corals on the sand bed, but they keep it clean. Good luck.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It is possible. I may get another one in the near future because he did do a damn good job of keeping my sand bed turned, and actually didnt make much of a mess either. I really liked him, he was very cute.

Last edited:

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I don't understand why everyone sells these sand sifters. They will only eat stuff from the sand and once that is gone they are gonners. I don't know how big a tank it would take to support one of these fish. But all the places selling them list them as easy to care for. They are actually almost impossible to care for.

Sumbub

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that Mikey.:sad2: Perhaps the next one if you get one, will learn to feed. Just takes time and patience. And some luck maybe. :tongue1:

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I don't understand why everyone sells these sand sifters. They will only eat stuff from the sand and once that is gone they are gonners. I don't know how big a tank it would take to support one of these fish. But all the places selling them list them as easy to care for. They are actually almost impossible to care for.

FALSE LOL

I own 2 diamond gobies and they eat EVERYTHING

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I also have one that didn't eat in the beginning. I am fortunate (and fishey) that out of nowhere he started eating mysis and now he sifts all day and gobbles up the mysis. Sorry for the loss but sometimes it's the fish and not the tank. I would try another, they do a nice job 'mixing it up'. Good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: