Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
has anyone drilled the back of a jbj nano 24 I was thinking of drilling it and putting a Iceprobe in the back

not sure if there would be a problen when drilling it dont want the plastic to crack then i will have a problem a big one....

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
has anyone drilled the back of a jbj nano 24 I was thinking of drilling it and putting a Iceprobe in the back

not sure if there would be a problen when drilling it dont want the plastic to crack then i will have a problem a big one....

Yep,

I drilled the back of a 12 gallon but eventually sold it b/c I was moving. I used the diamond bit hole saw and the dremel. Preferred the dremel by far, b/c I ended up cracking the first tank I had using the dremel. But it is possible if you're feeling gutsy. By the way the back is NOT plastic, it's just a background that covers the glass and can be peeled off. I Pm'd you a link with a picture.

Last edited:

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah this tank is def not plastic backed!! I have a 28 and when i went to drill that i was like wtf isnt this bit cutting? Luckily I didnt crack the glass....

Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
wow thanks I thought it was plastic I was thinking of going at it with a hole saw Iam glad I didnt Not sure if I want to drill it was it hard to drill did you drill with your fingers crosssed?

barebucta

Rating - 96.3%
26   1   0
wow thanks I thought it was plastic I was thinking of going at it with a hole saw Iam glad I didnt Not sure if I want to drill it was it hard to drill did you drill with your fingers crosssed?

Yea,

The first tank I drilled I ended up cracking. Lack of patience + I was using a dremel. If you could absolutely avoid it, I wouldn't drill it unless you're willing to take a risk. Read up about the topic before doing it. Good luck.

Savager

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't drill it if you are planning to put Iceprobe in 24G tank. It's not going to help you out. Iceprobe barely helped me on NC12. It's definately not worth of risking your tank to put something that absolutely useless to the tank, unless you are putting like 3 or 4 Iceprobes in the back.

Please ask about Iceprobe on Nano-reef.com before you decide to drill your tank. They should know better about that chiller on NC24.

kool-cat

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
If your going to use the iceprobe, drill plexi glass and mount it over the aquarium. I currently have it set up over my cpr refugium. Iceprobe doesnt work to well. I am still in the process of fiddling around with the temp. I have my heater set @ 84F and the controller set @ high. I am thinking of getting a real 1/15 hp chiller but its expensive and requires plumbing. My corals have faded slightly.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: