jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Bought this from Manhattan Aquarium and got a pretty good deal on it. Broke down both existing tanks (Oceanic 30G cube and Nano Cube 12 DX) to both stock and fund this tank.

All of my early tanks were AIO/non-RR. Doing it "right" this time and keeping my display as clean as possible by using a sump.

All livestock moved over as of 7/20.

Full Tank Shot as of 7/22
DB30_002.jpg

Hardware
  • Deep Blue 30G Shallow RR (24x24x12) with corner overflow
  • Stock Deep Blue stand
  • Custom King sump (thanks Jeff!)
  • Refugium with LR/DSB/chaeto
  • Maxijet MJ600 Return Pump
  • Kessil A350W Tuna Blue LED with Kessil Gooseneck

Livestock
  • 30 lb. each LR/LS in display
  • Assorted LPS and Softies
  • Assorted CUC
  • 2x Ocellaris Clowns
  • Green Chromis
  • Black Clown Goby
  • Green Clown Goby
  • Yellow Watchman Goby

Also see a shot of the Tomato Clowns I gave away. Both of my previous tanks each had a pair of clowns so I didn't want them to fight. Ocellaris won the girlfriend's heart so had to say bye to the Tomatoes:

DB30_001.jpg

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Sorry for the double post but just trying to keep my original post clean.

I am NOT running a skimmer as of yet (just a filter sock and the fuge). I want to get one down the road. Thinking about either the Bubble Magus NAC3.5 or the SWC 120; any opinions on either would be great!

I am also considering changing out the return pump. The sump was sold to me with a Quiet One 2200 which was a bit strong, so I swapped it out for a MJ600 I had lying around. That happens to be a bit weak. Would something like a MJ1200 be a good compromise of the two?

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Nice start! I just ordered the 60 cube. I'll be following along.
What skimmer are you going with?
Edit: looks like we were posting at the same time.

Take a look at the Warner Marine MF-121. I'm running one now and couldn't be happier.

(I'm not a fan of any SWC skimmer, and the bubble magus are OK, but you have to watch the pump. I suggest buying a backup if you go that route).

Last edited:

jnelson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Thanks! Will definitely give that skimmer a look. Good luck with your build!

Any ideas on the light for your 60? I would recommend the Kessil if you like the spotlight sort of look. I am very happy with mine. Since your tank has more depth to it, you may want to go for the non-wide angle one (regular A350).

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I've owned tons of skimmers and the Warner Marine is incredible.

As for the light.. I actually started a thread about that same subject. Lol. I can't make up my mind. I'm looking a 6 bulb sunpower, but will probably go LED.

I'm considering an AI sol blue, the new Maxspect razor, and the kessil A350. I wouldn't get the wide version though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: