Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
how many of you reefers are using a Kalkwasser with your calcium reactor? I was at the LFS picking up some corals when I over heard them talking about a kalkwasser unit, I chimed in and they explained when your system is stocked with coral a Kalkwasser isnt a bad idea. Can anyone really explain about it for me, Do you mix your RO water with lime juice for it? Any pictures would also help a great deal.

Thanks all

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
I used to use it but not with a reactor but with a doser. I would mix it with my RO/DI water and have it slowly dose overnight every other night. All it is just basically adding calcium to your tank.

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have a ca reactor and and a Kalkr reactor
the kalk reactor is between my top off water sump and a float switch
as the water evaporates the float switch opens allowing top off water to flow into my kalk reactor, the kalk solution ( ph of about 12) drips into my sump through the float switch.

so basiclly the sump water replenishes the water in my reactor
my PH is maintained around 8.4
my DKH is 10 and my cal is 480-500

Attachments

• DSC05547.JPG
    DSC05547.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC05548.JPG
    DSC05548.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 99

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
According to some reading I have been doing Kalk Raises calcium as well keeps alkalinity in correct balance, is that correct?

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I like the stirring type of kalk reactor (aquamedic/deltec) better than the ones using a power head. More consistent mixing. Frank, do you have problem with your impeller breaking every 6-9 months?

NYPDFrogman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I like the stirring type of kalk reactor (aquamedic/deltec) better than the ones using a power head. More consistent mixing. Frank, do you have problem with your impeller breaking every 6-9 months?

no had more problems with my old MRC with magnetic mixer

The Geo is pretty nice
easy to remove the pump and flush it
usually when I have to add Kalk.
I use ESV it's a finer powder, I had some kent stuff it's like sand compared to the fine baby powder consitantcy of the ESV
my reactor mixes for 1 minute 4 times a day

I'm really happy with this one easy to add kalk, fine workmanship

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: