da2145r

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I keep having diatoms on my sand bed only I had two conchs in the tank that would stay on top of it but had to take them out cause they where moving clams and corals around what can I use to replace them I'm not a fan of sand sifting gobies so if anyone knows any criter to help out would be appreciated thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
sounds like a new tank if you have diatoms in the sand. Those will generally do away with time. I would just wait it out. Although you can also try some nassarius snails which turn up the sand bed a little bit. Nothing that I know of will really turn over the sand bed like a goby will though.

da2145r

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
sounds like a new tank if you have diatoms in the sand. Those will generally do away with time. I would just wait it out. Although you can also try some nassarius snails which turn up the sand bed a little bit. Nothing that I know of will really turn over the sand bed like a goby will though.

Only worry with those snails is I've read that they can eat clams

jd371

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only worry with those snails is I've read that they can eat clams

I have them and a Maxima with no issues at all. They will eat a clam on the half shell that I put in the tank once and a while for my CBB but won't touch the Maxima at all. I believe the clams we put in our tanks are a different type of clam than the steamer types like Little Necks and Chowder clams.
They do okay in the sand when they come out (feeding time and night), my Conch on the other hand is a workhorse on the sand 24/7.

ZippysFunLand

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had diatoms build up in the sand in spots with low flow in my 72 gallon tank. Nassarius snails didn't help because they were just too small and it would take too many. I bought one a fighting conch, roughly a 3 inch shell, and he moves around the entire tank and keeps th sand nice and clean. Highly recommended but only get 1 because they might kill each other if you have two.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: