JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Mrs. Wages pickling lime is cheap($5 for a huge jar) kalk powder. Mix with water and presto, Kalkwasser! Nice alk and calcium suppliment.

Wow good info! Ok so I buy this pickling lime (Where?) second after I make this solution, what is the reccommended dose per gallon?

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You can buy mrs. wages from the mrs wages website, or you could try a walmart in fall or something. If you buy a box from the website, it'll pretty much be a virtually lifetime supply.

I use it to maintain my calcium and alk. by putting 2.5 teaspoons of power for every 5 gallon bucket of water, and just do topoffs with that water.

JLAudio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You can buy mrs. wages from the mrs wages website, or you could try a walmart in fall or something. If you buy a box from the website, it'll pretty much be a virtually lifetime supply.

I use it to maintain my calcium and alk. by putting 2.5 teaspoons of power for every 5 gallon bucket of water, and just do topoffs with that water.

I just found some on their website, I just wonder how accurate this could be bacause of the many factors such as tank size, livestock, etc. I really hope this works cause this could save me a ton of money.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Kalkwasser is a perfectly fine way to maintain Calcium and Alkalinity levels, BUT do some research 1st and understand what you are doing. The powder is caustic and messy and you don't want to breath it in, and the solution mixes to a very high pH ( @12 I think) so you need to drip it slowly and monitor your tank pH carefully.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Yeah I do the magnesium chloride and epsom salts thing. And really ditto on that do not breath the kalk in, had the unfortunate experience once to do so and had an instant nose bleed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: