A

Anonymous

I'm looking at getting one of these for a new 155g reef, and i just have a few questions about them. Is there any chance of getting calcium levels too high if there's not enough animals taking up calcium? how often do you change the media/co2? what type of store do you get your bottles filled at? is there any adjustment necessary after the initial setup? any chance of messing up the pH with this particular brand (they say no meter is necessary)? thanks for any input.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
I just purchased a Korallin 1501 this weekend. Will be hooking it up within the next few weeks. All of your questions can be answered by going to the Marine Monolith Monsters web sight at http://www.marine-monsters.com. Make sure you get the 1501 which has lots of improvements over the 1500. Keep in touch by email if you want and I will let you know how easy it is to set-up and maintain.

A

Anonymous

I've been running the 1501 for about 3 months now. I really like it. It's easy to set up and is very well-built. I dont have any problem with pH using this setup. one complaint, I dont care for the needle valve that came with either the reactor or the regulator. (cant remember which it came from - both units were from Monolith Marine Monsters M3) It doesn't close all the way and really cannot shut down the bubble rate as much as I wish it to. I just reduce the outlet pressure of the CO2 tank. It seems to work. The reactor is solid and keeps my Calcium level at 410 on my 180.

------------------
my tank specs:
www.reefs.org/ubb/Forum23/HTML/000027.html

A

Anonymous

Chaetodon;
I was just speaking to Edward at M3 and he says to keep the 2nd guage at 5 lbs or lower, instead of the 20 lbs in the instructions. This will give you more leeway with the needle valve.

A

Anonymous

I have used this reactor for a year now. I don`t think this device will raise calcium levels to high. It also produces carbonate and neither of these will let the other get to high. Both should reach equilibrium. I find calcium reactors good for maintenance and are slow to raise calcium levels. You have a 155 and I have a 180,I use the same reactor and levels stay around 425 ppm for calcium.
I change the media a little longer than the MFG recommends. I go about 4 months while it is recommended you change media every 3 months.
The biggest problem I have is with the bubble count. This reactor does operate under pressure. I didn`t spend a lot of money for my regulator and it requires tweeking about twice a week. You should, as above post noted keep the line pressure gauge about 5 psi and regulate with the CO2 with the neddle valve.
I use a 10lb bottle I get refilled at the local welding shop for about $8. It took eight months to use the first bottle.
Don`t economize on the regulator.

A

Anonymous

Ahhh, 5 lbs vs 18lbs! Man, I could only squeeze the valve down to 6 bubbles a minute. I'll have to try it. I like the Korallin, however since I travel a lot i've moved the outlet to the secondary so I don't get a airlock. Don't get me wrong, I like the CO2 safety mechanism, but I don't want to have to fiddle with it when I get back from a trip. Korallin is a very nice reactor and easy to set up. I really liked the small footprint!

A

Anonymous

Dan,
Thanks for the tip on the 5lb pressure. I also am just setting up a 1501 and was having trouble with that. There's enough of us 1501'ers here, we should set up an email list.

------------------
Dennis
http://www.quikstor.com/reef

A

Anonymous

I just hooked up my 1501 last night. My question is: How many bubbles per minute do I want??????

I have a 125 reef and a 33 gallon fish only connected to a 40 gallon sump. Totalling approximatley 200 gallons.

How do you know how many bubble you need without under/over doing it??

Thanks

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: