Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I really hate badly designed machinery, it drives me crazy.
This Korilia pump is only a couple of years old. The plastic bearings are shot.
I had to replace it with one of my 30 year old powerheads like the one pictured. Those things last forever.
I will try to rebuild this Korilia but I will eventually have to replace it with something better. They don't make good powerheads any more so it is going to be a problem finding something that is made well.
I doubt there are any American Manufacturers any more so I will have to build something out of parts which is a pain. :irked:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
u are kidding with that, pump recognized, the rest hurts my eyes
No I am not kidding, that is my surface skimmer that feeds my protein skimmer and it already ran for 8 times the life of that Korilia. You can not buy one as it is made in America and will never break, never need servicing or anything else. It also costs about $4.00 to build. That pump running it is about 30 years old, maybe older, I have 4 of them.

If I can't find a powerhead that is made well, I will build one myself, and if I do, it will last forever. That will really hurt your eyes. :smokin:

That device in the above post feeds this bio pellet reactor which is an experiment and the skimmer .

Here is the protein skimmer, so close your eyes. You also can't buy this as it cost about $10.00 and is probably 20 years old and never needed repairs. It is running a 42 year old tank with home made rock, lights, ATO and everything else.
Can you find a tank that age using all store bought equipment?:thrash:

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I wrote to Koralia and they are doing the right thing. They are sending me some replacement parts that should correct the problem.
I started designing a new pump but I probably won't have to build it if the parts work. I was building one on the design of an outboard motor where the motor sits above and outside the water and the propeller works through a gear inside the tank just like an outboard motor.
I may finish the design just for fun as it should be interesting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: