ourcoralreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I think last night was the worst experience i had with my tank
At 1:30am a family member calls me asks me if im burning anything (working on project etc) i say no
I go down and my first floor has smoke and the smell of melting plastic
I quickly unplug everything that was in the outlets including the tank
We check everything and nothing showing signs of burning , we call our neighbor make sure its not them and nothing, we check the walls nothing, we felt all the walls (feel if they are hot or warm) to make sure its not a electrical fire and nothing, the only major thing that is plugged in is my apex so i start to take apart my tank every pump heater everything, checking if its melted, warped, or has any smell still nothing
I disassemble my lights because it smells but not that strong took it apart nothing everything looks good except for some dust, i start plugging things in to my apex (processes of elimination) everything looks good i step back and all of a sudden i see smoke coming from the water i ask the person next to me if they see it too and they look and point out my hang-on filter by api is smoking i disconnected it sent everyone to sleep called my neighbor told them we found the problem everything was ok
A bit of background about a month or two ago i bought a api hang-on filter to polish my water it worked nicely until it failed last night im shocked, api is supposed to be a ok company and the filter was mixing the smoke in my water i saw black soot all along the top of my tank some in my tank i don't know what damage this is going to cause my reef in the long-run im really upset at api right now my family looks at my tank as if its going to blow up
My lights smelled because the smoke was rising into the fan now everything smells like burnt plastic im extremely upset

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
It's a good thing you were home and up. I guess your smoke alarm didn't go off. How are the inhabitants doing now? API is for cheapskates. I personally would not recommend API to a serious aquarist. I'm glad it worked out that no one got injured or your place catching fire.

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Wow that's crazy.. Glad everything is ok and you got it figured out. Could have been real bad. Hopefully no negative effects on the tank. Don't ever use anything API related but I would deff give them a call and speak your mind.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: