Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Well, I'm not sure what you are looking for here? There is no doubt that LED's have advanced to the point that all manor of corals can be kept alive, happy and growing. Given that the appropriate PAR and spectrum has been achieved and corals clearly have healthily exceeded a year under these conditions, why would one expect "long-term" viability to be an issue? PAR is PAR and spectrum is spectrum regardless of the source. Affordability, durability, desireability and aesthetics are all valid points of discussion, but coral viability I think is no longer an issue. BTW check out DickensCD's tank thread to see a full blown SPS reef thriving under LED's "long-term(ish) "

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
:bigeyes:

:fishhit:

You should have cut the light fixture :lol:

How are the coral adjusting to the LED?

:lol: The canopy still looks good, oak heat vent covers are a good thing :lol2:

A bit weird with the Solaris, some pieces do well and some don't even though they are within the light spread of the optics. Could be my never ending battle with Po4 though :shhh:
This is an H-series so not overly bright. I have an I5 series over the 102g and is much brighter but more white in spectrum.

I am liking these Pac Sun fixtures but I'll know in about 2-3 months how the SPS will react. They were starting to do well with the AC14k MH bulbs finally.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I'm hoping that it will run much cooler, so far it's dropped my water temp by 2 degrees. The real test will when May comes around. On the other tanks, the water temp definitely dropped by about 3 degrees when I switched over in August & September.
IMHO, the best lighting for growth & visual appearance would be MH so by changing over my overall objective was to reduce electrical consumption and reduce heat generated. In the dead of summer, I was averaging daily 110 kw which is a bit overboard for consumption. As you know, the tank with the MH would heat up and kick on the chiller which in return would heat up the fish room etc. Multiple cooling fans would be on 24/7 including the inline exhaust, chiller would be active from April till November.
So overall, LEDs over the 120g makes sense in terms of electrical consumption. It will reduce electrical consumption & should assist in the heat generation department which will add to the consumption use. The Solaris fixtures over the other 2 tanks won't save me on consumption since the fixtures pull more juice then my previous T5 setups.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
:lol: The canopy still looks good, oak heat vent covers are a good thing :lol2:

A bit weird with the Solaris, some pieces do well and some don't even though they are within the light spread of the optics. Could be my never ending battle with Po4 though :shhh:
This is an H-series so not overly bright. I have an I5 series over the 102g and is much brighter but more white in spectrum.

I am liking these Pac Sun fixtures but I'll know in about 2-3 months how the SPS will react. They were starting to do well with the AC14k MH bulbs finally.

I think your issue of "weirdness in the growth" is due to spectrum. If you are going to LIRA Jan 8th. I can discuss with you about this on the side because I think I will be formally talking about ONLY the spread of LEDs that day. I may fly thru the spectrum issue anyway.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
does anyone actually have any results for long term survival of reef critters under led's?????????
Please define long term.
Ire 2 years long enough? If so, I can tell you YES they are good but the animal responses are not exactly same as other lighting source-some better some not so good. The problem is most aquarium LED users do not know the characteristics of this new LED light source. If you can come to LIRA JAn 8th, you would probably get a much better idea.

Let me explain here by using some history. When people try to use MH with planted tanks and/or coral in the old days, they met with problems because they did not realize the UV produced was enough to damage to the organism. After awhile, people started to put UV filters on them and MH became the most honored lighting source for corals thus far. Same applied here with LEDs, you need to know the characteristics of LEDs to really use them right.

Only recently do people start talking about this and that LED fixtures being able to penetrate deep but I have advocated that 2 years ago. At the time, no one(no hobbyist, no investor, no body. I swear ZERO people except those who are actually my clients) even asked me how it can be done-people just assumed it would not work. Mind you that, at the time, I told the public that LEDs are frequently made everywhere to project upto 100ft in other applications. Check out the last olympic opening ceremony and you can see may different ways of using them-wide coverage, long throw spot, flash, laser look a like, signaling and blah blah blah of applications.

Last edited:

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is the fish room cooler without the MH?

I wish my fish room can be warmer under this weather. I am using 4 heaters with a total of 2,000W for my tanks in office, one time I even considered to change my Solaris I4 to MH during the winter.

The hobbyists down the south definitely can save lot of money for electricity by using LED, but the energy saving for the people in north need to be recalculated.

James

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: