pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
He hasn't answered one email that I have sent in the last 2 months since people have mentioned his business on R2R a while back.
Not saying anything bad about him, as a matter of fact I applaud his endeavor but he's been absent from R2R and well, if you don't have a working website and don't reply for request of product then......

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
I would suggest advanced marine. As already stated throughout this thread it is hard for LFS to take the proper amount of time to QT fish. I will say I have bought a decent amount of fish from Andrew and nick over the last two years and I have never had a sick fish from them or a fish get sick. Everything is always healthy and eating like pigs.

saltykid85

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Advanced Marine runs low levels of copper. Salgado runs low levels of prazi. +1 to your own system. get a small 20G with a sponge filter, bubbler, heater and ammonia badge. seed the sponge for a month or so with good bacteria. Many good forums on R2R on QT procedures. I fought the prospect of QT for the longest time due to lack of space and laziness, and luckily I haven't had a disease outbreak, but I knew it was only a matter of time so I took the plunge. I feel much better about buying a $225 Achilles tang last week now =)

It really is impossible for LFS to QT their fish. To make any sort of profit in this hobby for them, turnover is the biggest factor. IME, those 2 places I mentioned have the cleanest fish but nothing is ever a slam dunk.

Entirely inaccurate statement. Giving lfs the pass for not quarantining is awful. They could run adequate levels of copper, rather than just enough to mask anything. Sorry but profit and live animals should not be in the same sentence. I believe there I a market for places to do it the right way, even if it is more expensively,?although I don?t think most customers are bright enough to see that, and rather get it cheap and buy it 3 times after it keeps dying.

Bobby Miller is figuring it out with his humble fish start up. That takes off I think a lot of these ?lfs? are in trouble

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Entirely inaccurate statement. Giving lfs the pass for not quarantining is awful. They could run adequate levels of copper, rather than just enough to mask anything. Sorry but profit and live animals should not be in the same sentence. I believe there I a market for places to do it the right way, even if it is more expensively,?although I don?t think most customers are bright enough to see that, and rather get it cheap and buy it 3 times after it keeps dying.

Bobby Miller is figuring it out with his humble fish start up. That takes off I think a lot of these ?lfs? are in trouble
Not sure why you singled out my comment to claim inaccurate when many others have agreed. Never once did I give a store "a pass." This is the time we live in. Take ownership of your own animal and QT to your own standards. I hope one day we buy tank raised of every fish, but we still are ok buying fish that are knocked out with chemicals or stunned with explosives, shipped thousands of miles in plastic bags and then subjected to who knows what kind of diseases at wholesalers.
To stay profitable, stores must turn over their products. Plain and simple capitalistic society we live in. Is it right? No. These are animals we are talking about. Living things. I praise Humblefish's effort and I've learned much about QT from him. But, for example, if a QT'd Achilles from him costs $750, and it sits there for months because no one buys it, meanwhile he loses 2 of them because theyve passed due to disease, he's out a TON of money he could've made had he sold as is. Most business owners are going to go for the profit margin, not the humane approach.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: