HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Peppy, our CBS just passed away 2 days ago. His legs sort of pulled in like a spiders do and he just slowly stopped breathing (could see the little gills at his mouth moving)

We got him when he was about 1"-1.5" long a little over 2 years ago (30 months tops)

I know I'm needing to do a water change as the nitrates are around 30-40, but all other animals are doing well (urchin, mushrooms, snails, hermits, fish)

Just wondering if the high nitrates would have contributed or if this could have been old age.

On a side note, I was totally amazed at how fast the bristleworms in the tank disposed of the body. Incredible critters.

TYIA

herpsandreefs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since they are all wild caught, it probably just reached the end of its lifespan, especially if it was bought as a near adult. Thats my guess especially if everything else in your tank is doing fine.

Chris

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty much what I was thinking. Although I'm not sure how much of an adult he was. He was about 5" long from initial size.

Thanks for the info..my fiancee will feel better now.

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, nope..wasn't his exoskeleton. He's molted quite a few times and I'm familiar with what to look for.

I could see his little gills moving while he was 'wilting' for lack of a better word, and saw the worms working on him too :( Poor guy...well, he's in a better, shrimpier place!

HClH2OFish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well he made it 2-1/2 years and through a rough move cross town, and survived my learning mistakes, so he was a tough lil bugger.

Now I've only got hermits as crustys...oh, and my lobster in the 10gal.

Once we move I want to get a mantis....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: