UNICORN

Bubbles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone

well i have a power compaq light fixture and i want to refit it to metal halide.

specs:
120 vac
60 hz
.30 amp

will this fixture be strong enough to handle a 175 watt bulb or is this fixture not strong enough??

if it is strong enough do i just need a new socket if so will a regular light buld socket do or is it a special socket for the screw in metal halide bulb???? remember this is not for the double end halide bulb!
hewlp :iamwithst

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
you need to change the ballast for a MH and a different reflector as well as a socket for the MH and you have to rewire everything correctly. I don't even know if you will find a reflector for a halide that shallow for a retro without making one yourself.

Also, if the fixture is that soft plastic like the current USA ones it won't be able to take the heat from the MH bulb.

IMO, its not a quick and easy change over and will cause you alot more problems than just matching the wattage. Get a new fixture specced for MH.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
As Tosiek said..get a whole new (or used) fixture. It's not worth the time/money or danger of trying to turn a fixture into something it isn't.
If you have a canopy, the most economical way to outfit it with MH lighting is to purchase a retrofit kit which will contain the proper socket, ballast, wiring for a MH.
Then you could use your current compact fixture as your actinic light.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: