A

Anonymous

I am struggling with an important lighting decision. I am planning on up grading my lighting and I cannot decide on one of my options. I plan on replacing my 3 x 175 watt bulb magnetic ballast fixture with either two options:

1. 3 x 150 watt HQI(phoenix 14K) on electronic ballasts. http://www.aquacave.com/galaxy-dual-150 ... -2137.html

2. 2 x 150 watt HQI like above and 1 x 250 watt HQI(all phoenix 14K) with the 250 watter in the center 2' of my 6' 125 gallon.

I am planning this because I plan on getting a custom tank in the near future that will be 48x24x18. The depth is why I was planning on only 150 watters. For that tank I will use 2 x 150 Radiums for 9 hours a day and the 3rd bulb will be in the center and only used for 2 hours a day(Phoenix 14K). I am not too concerned with depth on my 125 either because the high light corals are either mid tank or higher. Also my current set up does not have a reflector and uses white aluminum instead. Those above use polished reflectors and should direct much more light downward.

I am leaning towards the 3 x 150 watt HQI's, but still keep feeling inadequate without a 250 watt bulb. :?

Thanks for any insight in advance.

A

Anonymous

You know what they say, "Go Big, or Stay Home" :wink: If you think you might need the 250, do it now rather than regret it later.

A

Anonymous

They also say this is a hobby that can easily make you go broke :D

I'd hold off on the lighting until you actually had the tank, I've seen way too many times when people get a goods (or live stock) for a "tank in the future" and then it never comes about.

A

Anonymous

I am also using it to replace the lighting on my 125. I will do it by years end the latest. Whether I get the new tank or not I am buying new lights, but the new tank is why I am not buying a 72" fixture and plan on three seperate pendants. That works for me now and for my next tank, saving me money by not buying two seperate fixtures.

trido

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id stick with the same wattage all the way across. I personally cant stand having different colors of bulbs from one section to the next when the lights are all on. I can almost gurantee the pheonix 150s and 250s will have a color difference.

Also, IMO you should be able to keep plenty of variety in an 18" deep tank under the 150s. Unless of course, you wanted it SPS dominated. Then I'd say 250's all the way across.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trido":17davk12 said:
Id stick with the same wattage all the way across. I personally cant stand having different colors of bulbs from one section to the next when the lights are all on. I can almost gurantee the pheonix 150s and 250s will have a color difference.

Also, IMO you should be able to keep plenty of variety in an 18" deep tank under the 150s. Unless of course, you wanted it SPS dominated. Then I'd say 250's all the way across.
I did not even consider that. Thanks for the enlightenment. I guess I will stick with the 150s. I only plan on keeping the existing SPS corals I have under 175 watters, and I plan to keep them in the upper third of the tank like I have them now. I also remember hearing that 150 watt HQI/DE bulbs on an electronic ballast are usually more intense than 175 SE on an old magnetic ballast.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also forgot to mention that the 150s use a polished aluminum reflector and the current lighting uses aluminum painted white instead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: