ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm getting ready to run a 400 gallon plastic tank to house 1000lbs. of live rock that will filter 5 100 gallon frag tanks and my 200 gallon display tank. What are the lighting requirements for a live rock only tank? I know I need to have lighting for the rock tank but what spectrum lighting and Kelvin rating is best for live rocks?

Also, while were on the subject, my system will also run through a 200 gallon tank that will serve as the DSB while also housing mangrove trees, Chaeto, Gracillaria and other plants. What spectrum lighting will serve best for the refugium. Is it a good idea to have a strip of Pro-Pink lighting for the plants?

Any help would be appreciated!

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
if you are just using the 1000lbs of rock for extra bio-filtration i don't think you really need to light it at all...as for the fuge, i use 6700k pc's on mine and my chaeto grows like crazy...

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had always read that the nitrifying bacteria needs some sort of light. Also, I'm not using the 1000lbs. of live rock as extra filtration, it will be the only live rock filtration there is in the system. The 5 frag tanks that I will be running are only 10", 8" and 12" in depth so there will be no rock in the tanks. But if you guys are right and I really don't need any light at all for the live rock, then I will save some $$$ and leave it in the dark. Can I get some more input from more people? Live rock, needs light or none at all?

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I have about 40 lbs of LR that i pulled from my tank in Jan. Been running in a 20 gal tube with just a heater and 2 powerheads with a lid so it gets no light at all. I just keep topping it off with FW. Dont know if you want me to test it for anything but as far as i know no light is need for the bacteria. Are you setting this up at the store if so i gotta check it out, I have not been there since the week u opened and im just down the street.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I had always read that the nitrifying bacteria needs some sort of light. Also, I'm not using the 1000lbs. of live rock as extra filtration, it will be the only live rock filtration there is in the system. The 5 frag tanks that I will be running are only 10", 8" and 12" in depth so there will be no rock in the tanks. But if you guys are right and I really don't need any light at all for the live rock, then I will save some $$$ and leave it in the dark. Can I get some more input from more people? Live rock, needs light or none at all?

You don't need light for live rock -- the nitrifying bacteria aren't photosynthetic. So the amount of light you use depends on what else you want to grow -- which is generally coralline algae. Me, if I was just lighting live rock, I'd use the cheap dual T5 strip lights from Home Depot. That's what I've got on my fuge and I'm getting great coralline growth on the glass and everything else. :)

But if it's just a big tank 'o live rock for denitrifying purposes? No light needed -- but then you won't be growing algae and cyanobacteria in that tank, and both of those can help a great deal with sucking up excess nitrates, phosphates, etc, even if you're not specifically growing algae in a fuge.

ReeferMadness99

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks guys, I think I'll go the home depot cheap T5 or maybe T8. What light spectrum does coralline grow best in? Does coralline need actinic spectrum? maybe I'll just pick up 1 strip of Sunbrite 12000K LED for $220, I think I'll make my money back in 1 year of electric and I won't have to buy T5 bulbs every year. Also, no heat either. But I need to know what spectrum Coralline really likes.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: