jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So the reef rocks for the 90 should be here soon. Along with that I intend to use a bit of stone from my 44 pentagon. I'm figuring about 20lbs or so. My question is this. How long can I hove that live rock out of water while I set the scape before I can expect a massive die off? I intend to take the live rock out and set the scape without water in the 90. I imagine it will go relatively fast maybe 30 min or so. Then I'll add sand then start adding salt water. Is this advisable. Or should I set the scape with water in the tank. Maybe half full or something? Thoughts anyone. Thanks in advance.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would make a buck with some saltwater now before the rock gets here and drop a power head inside and then just place the rock inside there until your ready not sure what everyone else thinks but thats what i did when i moved my 120 gallon from rockland county to the bronx and had very littledie off if any and it was in the bucket for about 4 days until i got my tank set up thats just my thoughts on it hope that helps a little

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The rock I have coming is dead rock. So I'm nor concerned about that the live rock will be coming out of my aquarium located about 10' away. I should be good just keeping it damp. Just checking. My biggest concern really is the currently setup aquarium. Adware I pull that rock I'm gonna have to do a large water change. Just in case anything gets released from sand bed disturbance.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Do you have fish involved in this tank swap? Where do you plan to put them during the change?

How much new (dead rock) are you adding compared to how much live rock you are taking from your current set up?

Ideally you do not want your live rock to be out of water at all.
Wrapping it in damp paper towels will not help die off - it will happen anyway.
Do all you can to figure out a way to keep the live rock submerged at all times, and yes you want to do the aquascaping with water in the tank.

Are you adding a new sand bed or using the old one? How old is it? If more than 12 year, best to change it entirely and keep one cup of the old sand to seed it.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Kathy,
New tank is a 90. Old is 44. The 44 has about 65lbs of rock of which only a select few pieces are being used about 20-25lbs worth. The rest I'm not gonna use. The fish and coral are staying in the 44 till the 90 is cycled. I have about 100lbs of dead rock to go into the 90 also. All new sand.
My plan was to have about 90 gal of saltwater ready to go. Set the scape. Pull the live rock I'm using trying to keep wet as possible. I only have to cross a room but there is no way to keep completely submerged. Once scape is complete add new sand then start pumping in saltwater.
The 44 is going only since september. The bed was about 2-3" tops but my goby has done some redecorating so there may be a few deep spots. Only 1/3 or so of the sandbed will be disturbed. So I figured a good water change for a couple of days should take care of any problems that might come about from the bed disturbance.

As for setting scape in water. The top of the 90 is at about 5'. That's gonna make it a PIA to add sand neatly. Figured with no water I could more easily move stuff around and just pour in sand without having to put my arms in and out of water. Sorry to be long winded. What do you suggest.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: