jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Got some live rock from a fellow reefer now it's dry rock it's been out his system only a couple of days wats da best way 2,clean it wanna snake sure I don't get anything when I put it n my new set up I hear Bayer insect killer is da best any advice would b appreciated

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Get a big bucket or a cooler, Fill it with water and then gallon of bleach. I usually let it soak for a day with power head on so that water is circulating and getting dead stuff off the rocks.
Afterwards, rinse thoroughly with water then fill that bucket, or cooler with water and heavy amount of prime and let it circulate again with power head for couple of days.
After that, I would dry it completely making sure that bleach smell is completely gone

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Been using the bleach on rocks for well over a decade and never had a problem..if the rocks are known to have pest leave them in longer..bayer insecticide is mainly used for acro eating flatworms but I'm sure it's for other pest..not sure if I'd use it for cleaning live rocks.i know others use muriatic acid and I have tried it also i just think it's a harsh approach and it can dissolve the rocks

Last edited:

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Bleach requires much time changing water and rinsing. Muriatic acid cleans much better and faster, and rinses in one day. Then leave in sun to dry for a few days and done

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Bleach requires much time changing water and rinsing. Muriatic acid cleans much better and faster, and rinses in one day. Then leave in sun to dry for a few days and done

Agreed but the muriatic acid will dissolve the rock.by no means am I against using the muriatic acid way (as it is pretty cool to see it do it's thing)
https://youtu.be/mpHnz4GBiZo

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Agreed but the muriatic acid will dissolve the rock.by no means am I against using the muriatic acid way (as it is pretty cool to see it do it's thing)
https://youtu.be/mpHnz4GBiZo

Depends on the type of rock, and how strong you make the mix of acid/water

Always recommend spreading the rock out and hosing it down. Then mix around 10 to one first, let soak for an hour or so. Then rinse and mix around 5 to one, let soak for and hour. Then rinse, let soak in clean water, then rinse and let dry

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: