skatezen

If You pick it, Flick it!
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'll be setting up my new 180 shortly. I haven't needed to buy live rock in a while and the rock that is currently in my tank has been through so many moves that a lot of the good stuff has died off. It actually plays little role in denitrification and its practically lifeless. I'm looking for a good vendor with great rock and reasonable prices as I'd like to get about 100 lbs to seed my dead rock. I'll be putting the dead rock through a RODI bath to sterilize it. I will then "cook" the dead rock with water change water to release any bound phosphates and organics. Would 100 lbs be enough to seed the rest of my rock? I have about 150 - 200 lbs to add to the 100 lbs of live rock I'm looking to buy or would I be best off getting 100% new live rock?

Jeff

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
even 1 lb of live rock will seed dead rock. The question is how long do you want to wait for it to completely seed the dead rock. If you want it to be instantaneously, then you're better off buying all new Live rock, but if you don't mind waiting a few weeks then by all means get less live rock.

Just remember in this hobby costs are inversely proportional to the length of time you want to wait.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
You can not tell how much it helps from what is growing on it. Your rock is very much alive in regards to nitrification. As far as critters that is a different story. It is a good idea to add new rock every few years. I would not get rid of the old or even cook it if there is nothing bad growing on it. Simply replace 10-20% with new rock. And do that every year or 2. Same goes for sand. Besides, part of the fun is finding hitchhikers.

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Wouldn't it probably be a bit cheaper looking in the FS/FT threads for another member breaking down their tank.
Usually you can find better deals than purchasing the LR through a dealer, and you will know that the rock purchased will be fully cured.

skatezen

If You pick it, Flick it!
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Frank,

Sounds like it could work. If your friend has a few pictures of his tank I'd like to see the rock. I'm pretty particular.

Jeff

thezar77

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need to add like twenty lbs to my existing aquarium if i add 20lbs at once would that cause an unsafe rise in nirates etc to cause harm or death to its current occupants? i have a brain coral, star polpys, anenome, clown fish,sleeper head gobie, foxface,cleaner shrimp and a damsel.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
you can also find online places and see if they do group buys or someone willing to go half on better deals i know these companys will be happy if they can move about 200 pounds of rock at once let me know

Frank

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Live rock pic

Pic....

Attachments

• 100_3370.jpg
    100_3370.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 35

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: