A

Anonymous

I have been lurking and posting around this board for about six months and after the 5000th post about my sick tang, I think I will pass altogether.

As many know I have been stocking very slowly and my current inhabitants are:
2 Bangaii(sp?) Cardinals
1 lawnmower blennie
1 six line wrasse
1 red brittle star
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
2 pepperment shrimp
6 mushrooms
More snails than I care to count
I have been waiting for a halthy pair of homegrown true percs to come available at my LFS.
55 gallon that I held back on to much live rock in the main tank to provide more swimming room. @ 30lb of dead base rock and 25lb of live rock. DSB and wet/dry

I would like one more fish past the clowns, Ivy likes the FoxFace but I am concerned about thier size.

Any suggestions, no worries I have thick skin and a asbestos suit on
icon_smile.gif

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Fishaholic ]

A

Anonymous

My god you are going to burn in hell for starting this topic. LOL I subscribe to the small population political party and the gestapo is on its way! Just kidding. I have a very beautiful fancy hawaiian anthia that I like alot. If you are thinking something along the lines of a sand sifter then I have a gold headed sleeper gobie that I am found of as well. Unfortunately the tang will always be my favorite. I am probably a sucker but I had a 1 inch blue fall into my hands today so I thought I would give them a try again. It didn't cost me a thing and he is just so cute
icon_biggrin.gif
(Save the flame I know). It breaks the rules but it would have probably been flushed by now if I didn't, so everyone can stow their remarks. Anyhow, I know you to be sensible and intelligent when it comes to this and the other site so you will pick a fine inhabitant. Just my .02.

RLTW

Chris

A

Anonymous

Hello Chris,

I have read about fox faces but much is left out. Do they spend alot of time swimming? Do they needa lot of room? I assume that because so many people with reefs keep them they are reef safe. Do they harass other fish and if so what kind? Books say very peaceful and good community fish. How big do they really get. Books give various sizes from adult 8 - 10 inches? How dangerous is the venome spine?

Doing a search on Hawawiian Anthia right now.
Thanks Chris.

A

Anonymous

Just read another article that Foxface rabbitfish are 8 -10 inches in the wild but 5 - 7 inches in aquariums and they have been breed in cptivity bt rarely in hobbyists aquariums.

Carpentersreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface is definitely one of my favorites. He is the gentle giant of my aquarium. His size is between 6 and 7 inches. When I first started a reef 1 1/2 years ago, I put him in my 50g. I soon realized that it was too small for him to comfortably turn around in, and he was the main reason I converted my FW180 to reef. He doesn't have a very flexible body. They do need room to swim. He bothers nobody. From what I've heard, if you get pricked with the spines, get to the hospital.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend has a foxface and he enjoys it. He to has a 50g and will have to upgrade soon if he wants to keep it. He doesn't have a reef tank, just fish. His is now about 3 inches. Doesn't bother any inhabitants that he has told me about. Hope that helps.

RLTW

Chris

EmilyB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a foxface about a year ago, it was very tiny, may 2.5". Within six months it was too big for my 72g reef, and is now in my 155g. It never bothers anything, or anyone, just flicks the spines up now and then, as they are actually pretty timid. I did forget about the spines once when catching him, and went to untangle him. He never stung me, thank goodness.

Just like tangs, we really need dwarf foxfaces.

ojreef

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave & Ivy,

I've had a foxface in my 72gl Bow front reef tank for about 4 months now. He was about 4" when I got it and is maybe 5" now.

Tamest fish in my tank which also has a coral beauty, flame angel, and, a PJcardinal.

Foxy has become our favorite fish, out and about almost all day. Never bothers any fish or corals. In fact, it isn't unusual to see him cruising side by side with my coral beauty.

They love to eat and will eat culurpa dangeling from my hand. I must admit it is a little scary when I remove/replace my dried seaweed clip. Foxy is right there by my fingers but dosen't touch me. Also, when I clean the glass, Foxy goes behind the rocks and leaves me alone even when I clean the back glass. Use to have a maroon clown that would bite me anytime he could.

FYI, they are listed in various books as venemous. Results vary from bee sting to death. But, did you notice, no one has posted anything about an actual sting by a foxface in thier aquarium?

I suggest you get the one spot foxface. That's the one with the black spot in the rear. I just think they look cooler.
icon_cool.gif

Neal358

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
their was an artical in marein fish monthly cauling them the perfect fish. their very nice not agresive even to small fish i have never herd of them picking at coral they will eat like a horse even hair alge. i think a 4 foot tank is the smallest size. i have seen 4 difrent typs 1)the normal fox face 2) the one spot 3) the magnificent (very awsome fish and the Bicolor fox face (also the cauled the fiji fox face all some body shape but the 3 and 4 are on the rair side and for a ggod sive one you will pay usualy over $100.00. all have the same personality and habits but the scond are just so cool looking last week i got the bicolor he is all black except for the tail, and th magnificent you just have to see it at http://anchofish.com/misc_fish/foxface_magnifica.htm

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont forget there are more rabbitfish than just the foxface, I love mine, pencil streaked rabbitfish is the common name. Here's a photo of him.

Rabbitfish

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: