Webo

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on what livestock to put in a refugium. I have a 30 gallon refugium with Deep sand bed, small amount of LR; chaeto; and plenty of current; and a few peppermint shrimp; I was trying to figure out fish and/or coral to the fuge.

thanks.

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Im just setting up a system that also has a 30g fuge. Im curious why you would want coral and fish in your fuge? Do you have aptasia in your fuge? if not, how come the peppermint shrimp?

-following along..

Salty Dog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.9%
20   2   0
the reason for a fuge is to grow your own micro marine life that in turn feeds your live stock for a healthy inviroment, housing shrimp,fish in your fuge
would be a waste of time.
The diffenition of fuge is any place your fish cannot get to.

Last edited:

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I think you can do something interesting in a fuge, I also am running a 29 gall tank as a fuge and will eventually put in a pair of seahorses. maybe your fuge
and plenty of current
should have slower water movement to allow the macro to do it's job. I would stay away from anything that would add significantly to your bio load but think each element of your setup can be a point of interest and enjoyment!
I agree w/ dsgray16 and like to keep corals in the display tank -

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Totally agree with dsgray and salty. A refugium is a 'safe haven' free from any predators. Seahorses will eat pods. Any predator in a refugium negates the purpose of that tank.

It sounds like you want to set up an interconnected series of tanks as opposed to a true refugium.

Russ

hediki12

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
i always thought that shrimps like peppermints and hermits are allowed in the fuge and snails. i mean shrimps n hermits are scavengers... so i dont think they would harm the pods and the other microbes. and since the water in a fuge is slower what ever is pumped into it wouldnt it accumilate with out a small cuc? i feed some one has to eat the food the gets into the over flow and into the tank... just my 2cents.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
No fish, shrimp, crabs should be housed in the refugium, even snails are questionable. I keep one turbo to keep it "clean" and he seems to enjoy it there.

what about nassarius? i have 3 small ones in my fuge...nothing else but a zoa frag or two. occasionally one of my Orange Cat Eye Snails will find it's way in through the fuge return but always come back out.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: