Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Hey all,

thinking about upgrading tanks and transferring all my livestock from the old tank to the new tank.. Was just looking to find out some advice on the best method to do this and keep all livestock stress free and healthy. I mean sand, rocks, inverts, corals, and fish (everything) from old tank which is a 57g to a 110g. Not a definite yes but its close just need ways to transfer everything. Let me know.
Thanks

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
when i upgraded i used every thing except the sand, i used mostly new and rinsed some of the old sand in tank water to seed the new.
its unavoidable, your live stock will be stressed.

salpet

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
i switched tanks in may from a 75 to a 125 and i made the mistake of adding all my sps too soon and lost a majority of them all my softies came out fine but i should have waited a few days to add them the fish were also ok so if you have any sps wait till everything settles down before adding them i did not throw out my old sand but simply rinsed it and added 75 pounds of new sand on top of the old one its been 5 months since my switch and everything is flourishing

Rating - 98.1%
155   3   0
if i was you i would keep all the fish and sps or most corals in a rubbermaid till you transfer everything then put half your old water in the new tank and half back in the old tank with no sand in the old tank and keep running it for like a week before transfering just to be safe but you can reuse the old sand just give it like a week and check your levels before adding the fish and corals

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have the room to keep both tanks. So once I need to get the bigger one I need to transfer everything as soon as possible. Its going in the same spot pretty much just the opposite wall. I will buy the Rubbermaid I have an extra powerhead and heater and once the tank is set up ill add my livestock back in. No sps just some zoas, and softies as well as fish and inverts. I don't think it will be that hard was just wondering the best way to do it. Wss going to use mostly my old water and make new water for the difference. Thanks all

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: