nickster

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of planning an upgrad to a 180 gal reef.

I was thinkig of using at least a 45 gal or more sump for the system.
I don't want to use another aquarium, but was thinking of something like a big square/rectangular Rubbermaid-type container.

Are they "safe" to use, or will they leach undesirable stuff into the system? What are most guys using out there for a compaable sized reef?

Thanks for you input.

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nickster,

If you can get to an Agway store you can buy a fiberlass feeding trough. They come in 50, 150, and 300 gallon sizes. They make for ideal sumps -- strong, inert, cheap, and easy to drill and plumb. I have been using the 300-gallon one for many years as my sump.

nickster

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Terry for your reply.
However here in the Great White North --a.k.a. Canada-- we don't have those stores.

However I will check for farmer supply stores.

Thanks for the idea.

Zephrant

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Rubbermaid stock tanks are great, I have a 100 gallon one, but I'm not using it anymore. They take up a lot of room for their volume, and you can't see inside of them. If neither of those things bother you, then they are about perfect. Make sure to remove the bulkhead and re-seal it with silicon before using it.

I am not a big fan of standard flimsy storage containers for sumps- I've read of a few failures, and you have to be careful which polymer they were made out of. They do make some that are opaque white and stiff, that seam to work better. Installing baffles is a little harder, since the walls are not square to the bottom.

IMHO on of the cheapest ways is to buy a used tank, and add the baffles as needed. Use silicon for a glass tank, and acrylic glue for an acrylic tank.

Zeph

JTW

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are trying to keep the sump under the aquarium, then you may want to use a 40 gallon "breeder" aquarium. These are 36"x18"x16". This is a good choice for "in sump type" skimmers, also if you decide you would like to have a refugium then you can see whats going on in there. The plastic is harmless, but be sure to test (outside) anything that you plan to use. Often times cheap plastic containers will bow out when filled.
Sometimes you can find a used acrylic tank that you can use. Just be sure that you can access any part of it.
J.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: