A

Anonymous

I have a 30 gallon oceanic cube set up as a planted tank for about 3 months now. It's basically one giant piece of driftwood, some vallisnera, micro sword and dwarf anubias. Have one micro tenepoma, two amano shrimp, one yoyo loach and 4 otocinclus cats. Trying to figure out a semi interesting schooling fish to round out the tank. Currently have some white clouds but they don't really seem to fit in with the other fish being more of a temperate species (though darn hardy).

fishfanatic2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rummy nose tetras are nice, you could also get a school of some dwarf rainbows. There are also other species of rasbora besides heteromorpha, but they are somewhat difficult to find. Congo tetras are gorgeous but I think they get to big to have a decent school. I personnally like rummys for there coloration and rainbows for there unique shape. :D

gpodio

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that sounds expensive. Barbs are very active swimmers! Not my cup of tea but they are popular in general.

Giancarlo

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! I've seen lots of those guys come through (years ago, of course) sold to us as tiger barbs. I knew they looked odd for a tiger barb!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
barbs will destroy plants

redtail rasboras, emperor tets(blue or black), phantom tets (red or black) are nice

yoyo loaches are temperate ?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vitz":2sr0nvsj said:

redtail rasboras, emperor tets(blue or black), phantom tets (red or black) are nice

Vitz - local store here has the Penta barb in planted tank and they seem like elongated tiget barbs without the attitude. Pretty sure the loach I have is SE asian tropical - there are temperate to cool water loaches but I see them rarely (thinking of weather loaches and hillstream loaches in particular)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
technoshaman":1pdqbfk9 said:
vitz":1pdqbfk9 said:

Vitz - local store here has the Penta barb in planted tank and they seem like elongated tiget barbs without the attitude. Pretty sure the loach I have is SE asian tropical - there are temperate to cool water loaches but I see them rarely (thinking of weather loaches and hillstream loaches in particular)

ah 'twas my misunderstanding, you were refering to the white clouds, hehe.

just make sure you keep the barbs well fed, w/a food that contains some veggie matter, or they will start to nibble on plants,- i've yet to see a barb species that doesn't enjoy plant material :wink:

:)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a small school of neons (6) in my planted tank and even though every child has them, they are just freaking great. The are always on the move and make a 55 gallon look huge.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherry Barbs fed with veg. and some cylop-eeze color up very well. I have not had any trouble with them in my planted 55. small so you can have a nice size school.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a school of tiger barbs about ten years ago and those bastard fin nippers could not die fast enough.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several black skirt tetras in my 55gal..pretty neat..i have a mix of long tail and normal black skirts..pretty hardy..Ive had all 8 for the last two years...they are a semi schooling fish not a true schooling like cardinals or neons...and Rasbora Harlequin is always a good choice too for schooling..Better yet maybe a school of pirhannas :wink:

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon or cardinal for me. A shoal of hungry angels will also work as they chase your fingers around begging for food.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: