Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Looking to upgrade and trying to decide which way I want to go. What experiences and opinions do you have regarding having the back of a Tank drilled vs Reef Ready.

If there are other treads discussing this topic please let me know.

I have a 120 Reef Ready and have been happy with it, but looking to upgrade to a 4' 150 gallon with a Starfire glass front. Any vendors that want to send me quotes please do.

ClownAquatics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 93.8%
45   3   0
Reef ready = typically bigger overflow, less footprint in the tank, but easier plug and play.
-
Drilled on back = more footprint in tank, more room for fish to swim, smaller overflow, sticks out more from wall.

I have a 180g custom penninsula style tank now with a single internal overflow and I love it. I also have owned a 75g tank with a glassholes overflow as well. The glassholes overflow was great because it took up barely any room and allowed for the optimum scaping since I didn't need to worry about a box in the way. The only issue I had with their overflows is when you do the plumbing you need to account for having the tank sit off the wall far more than a reef ready drilled from bottom.

Hope this helps

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I like the drilled tank because of the larger footprint ( I have a 120g drilled). With a drilled tank u get more noise ( gurgling) than a reef ready tank. Also you must be careful u don't bang the bulkheads they can crack the tank ( mine is drilled on the sides that helps if you have limited depth where you are putting tank.
Hope this helps

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thanks for your response ClownAquatics

I like the idea of having more room in the tank to aqua scape. When you say smaller overflow, do you mean smaller diameter pipe or the plastic shield will be smaller.

I have limited access to the back and the sides of the tank, the space is 56" wide by 26 1/2" .

How much clearance would be required for a drilled back plumbing?

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Looking to upgrade and trying to decide which way I want to go. What experiences and opinions do you have regarding having the back of a Tank drilled vs Reef Ready.

If there are other treads discussing this topic please let me know.

I have a 120 Reef Ready and have been happy with it, but looking to upgrade to a 4' 150 gallon with a Starfire glass front. Any vendors that want to send me quotes please do.
You must always be sure your check valves are operational on a drilled tank. They can clog from the salt!

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
You must always be sure your check valves are operational on a drilled tank. They can clog from the salt!

Hmmm!!! Where would you have a check valve placed other than on the return plumbing? What other disasters could happen if the salt clogs it?
I have a check valve on my RR return just as a back up if the siphon doesn't break during a power outage.

Thanks for your response Silverni2

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I like the drilled tank because of the larger footprint ( I have a 120g drilled). With a drilled tank u get more noise ( gurgling) than a reef ready tank. Also you must be careful u don't bang the bulkheads they can crack the tank ( mine is drilled on the sides that helps if you have limited depth where you are putting tank.
Hope this helps

How much louder is the gurgle and is there a way to reduce it? How durable is the glass, would it take a big oops to crack it, or could just setting up the plumbing cause it to crack?

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
How much louder is the gurgle and is there a way to reduce it? How durable is the glass, would it take a big oops to crack it, or could just setting up the plumbing cause it to crack?

You can play with the bulkhead strainers to cut down on the gurgling. The best example I could give you is the sound in a fish store fish room.
I think it would take a big hit to crack the glass but I've heard horror stories.
Never done it myself!! Lol

Klewis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Silverni I would love to see a pick also as I'm interested in the same as Klewis.
I could have started this same exact thread lol only I'm likening the 200 gal 96x24x20 ;)

Thanks!

MikeC feel free to jump in at any time if you think of something that I haven't.
:division: Two heads are better than one:smile:

Silverni2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
MikeC feel free to jump in at any time if you think of something that I haven't.
:division: Two heads are better than one:smile:

Hope these help

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1361210611.894593.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1361210611.894593.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 74
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1361210638.006850.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1361210638.006850.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 77
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1361210654.228663.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1361210654.228663.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 80
  • ImageUploadedByReefs1361210681.285705.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1361210681.285705.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 74

Will

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Sorry , don't have any pics . At the moment I have a 58 gal Oceanic RR tank. Rather than trying to explain it just Google external Durso to see one. The concept is the same .....just that it's attached to the outside of the bulkhead.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: