• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap I had been to busy lately to check on my LFS bought RPE's and also did no watching prior to putting them in the tank....well some were decemated by what I think was a coral eating worm as he had been wrapped around them for the last couple of nites. (finally able to look in on the tank at nite) Long story short freshwater dip (all I had I could do) Killed some worms. Lesson learned possibly dip all new corals (if Possible) any ideas on what dip with??

Heres a pic of the worm, no length indicator-its 2-3" and pretty wide:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26621781@N ... /?edited=1

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah that's one fugly critter! So sorry you lost livestock :(

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I am sorry to, loss of something pretty is hard. Whats left does not seem to be recovering either. :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you got the only worm or there are more? I heard about a low tech trap for any type of carnivorous worm, a piece of shrimp tucked in the toe of a clean nylon stocking tied to a rock and placed in the bottom when the tank lights are out. I tried in, and got a ton of bristle worms out of a tank that way FWIW.

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawdawg":16en6dew said:
Do you think you got the only worm or there are more? I heard about a low tech trap for any type of carnivorous worm, a piece of shrimp tucked in the toe of a clean nylon stocking tied to a rock and placed in the bottom when the tank lights are out. I tried in, and got a ton of bristle worms out of a tank that way FWIW.

I am pretty sure I got em, but I will consider your idea for the next funny business. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":rhf5avwy said:
I use either Tropic Marin Pro coral cure or Revive for dipping.

I had been looking at the Revive, had not seen the Tropic, but will look at it thanks for the recomendations. :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugol's dip usually gets all the worms to detach too. I don't like FW dipping corals as some don't take well to it. Fish are the exact opposite (do not put fish in lugol's!)

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":2138pdvv said:
Lugol's dip usually gets all the worms to detach too. I don't like FW dipping corals as some don't take well to it. Fish are the exact opposite (do not put fish in lugol's!)

Yeah I did not want to do FW either, but as I had nothing else handy I tried it. The colony seemed doomed to be eaten anyway unfortunately. Lesson learned I need something around for this purpose.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lugols works well, but for redbugs it won't, and worms like this I have no experience with. Ew.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: