BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I just got a test kit from home depot and see that, much like my soils around my property, my well water is low in PH. It wasn't numbered but the color indicated border cautious. Since this is how I get my water (RO/DI) i was wondering should I do something to the water to bring it up before mixing or using it for top off. I use IO salt and it states the PH on it as good after mixed but I'm not sure. Thanks

MDreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The short answer is no. Especially until you know the numbers. After you mix it with salt (IO or any), your Ph will increase thanks to buffers in the IO mix.

You can try aerating the water a bit to deplete more CO2 if you can do it outside or in a well ventilated area. RO water?s ph is generally between 6.5-8 but can drop lower due to its lack of buffering capacity. Low ph water will deplete your Di resin faster.

I?d get a cheap electronic ph meter on amazon(~$10), will work on both fresh and saltwater.

On a separate note, overly acidic water will corode pipes which can cause other issues..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: