gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all I have some questions that i hope some one can help with. I have heard all sorts of answers on this topic and nothing has really worked.

I have currently a 38 gallon column tank measuring 22x20x24 I believe.

Led 120watt fixture off eBay which has been awesome also supplemented by a 18 inch marine land led reef bright.(this is only on for about 3 hours a day). My lighting cycle is blue on at 3:00 white on at 4:00 white off at 9 blue off at 10:00

Water parameters are all in check I can update this on Sunday as that's when I do them but every this is within limits

To my question I have many Lps
2 different frogspans
1 torch
2 hammers

All of them are growing splitting heads and living for well over 4 months some as Long as a year. My problem is that they never look like there fully open when I see them in pictures and in stores it seems they extend out quite far. Mine seem to only come out about an inch max and it been this way for ever. Some say lighting period to long to short to much light not enough.

Any one with similar issue or can help me out would be great. I am concern because recently bought a new torch and in the store it was awesome fully out about 3 inches and flowing in the current now in my tank same issue opens about an inch every day and that's it. To much flow not enough flow? Thanks in advance

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Are they getting blasted with flow? Direct flow?
What is the placement of your corals in your tank? LPS usually like low placement, with low flow.

Also, if they are growing and splitting heads regularly, then you have no problem, its a good sign.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Torch can handle flow, hammers and frog spawn can't handle too much. Branching hammers and frog spawns are very easy to keep. Check your pars though you might find something off. I feed phytoplankton on occasion...Post pics.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for respond for most part there all lower in the aquarium. And yes there splitting all the time I have dragged a few out already. I was thinking it could be the flow issue in the aspect of to much I need to get a different power head I have one of those new maxi jets 900 and I think it put to much direct current in a cube. It would be fantastic for a long tank

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ill try spot feeding anyone have any suggestions what works beat.

Here's a pic by the way you can see all the Lps in the tank
aryhudet.jpg

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok I think your right I been thinking that I need to change flow or get two smaller power heads rather then I large one ill try that and keep updated

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Where is the power head placed, and is it pointed towards the corals?

I would try to point it upwards to the surface.;) I have a ton of flow in my tank, and prior to Sandy everything was doing great.
Two of my #4 Koralias are placed on the back glass angled slightly sideways with an upwards tilt. The other two #4 Koralias are on opposite side walls pointed towards each other with a slight tilt upwards. The two on the back are somewhere towards the middle, the two on the side walls are a little further up. Added to the Koralias I also have two return pumps. Locklines push the return water to center & sides just below the water surface.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I already cut back o. Lighting cycle to see I I see a change at all I def think I need to make the one power head two smaller power heads

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I think too much light.
LPS coral dont need to be blasted with light and if they are getting too much they wont need to inflate as much.
If the flow was too much they would not be splitting as much since it would be a hostile environment.

gnorts

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Interesting view well like I stated before I reduce the light cycle by a third percent so I'm goin to see if that helps or hurts tank for the next week or two if no response to light issue I'm going to change flow

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: