A

Anonymous

Okie dokie, well i have 220 watts 4x65 pc light bhy coralife. I just oredered new bulbs for it from hellolights (hellolights brand, not coralife, i dont like their bulbs). I was wondering if this is enoough light to raise lps corals in my 75 gallon tank (it isn't relaly 75 gallon it is 67. somthing, but whose counting?). I keep the calium well up there, and all i have in there as of now is one moon coral (lps i got to try) and 4 diff. zoa colonies and 1 rbta that hides in the back of the tank :roll: (i'm going to move it myself, i think it is stuck where it is becuase of a spot of high flow surrounding it). I dose b-ionic (just switched over from c balance).

If this isnt enough light, i am thinking about upgrading to mh, i will have to selll my current set up, and i dont know how much to rice it at. 1 coralife fixture, with new bulbs from hellolights 2x10k nad 2xtrue act.03. I will also have to seelll a prizm skimmer, not the delux version, but it is new. and two fluval filters, both used temp. for water movmenet only for half a year. Can you please give me advice, and help me price?

also for zoa's softies and lps what do you think 2x175 or 2x250? i will not be using any supplementary act if i swithc to mh.

sorry for all the noobie-like questions, but i am alll confused about what i want to do, and waht is best for the tank. I am not well funded at the moment, and just need my options.

I attached a photo of the tank, this is an old picture before i put in the lcosed loop w/ a mag 7.

Thanks a ton in advance

Dirk
44049Image04.jpg

A

Anonymous

You have plenty of light for many LPS, including Euphylia (frogspawn, hammer and torch corals) Tubestria, bubble corals, open brain and meat corals, etc. MH look more natural in appearance, but you don't need the intensity right now.

Cheers
Jim

A

Anonymous

derek_setter":yyfsgfwz said:
Okie dokie, well i have 220 watts 4x65 pc light bhy coralife. I just oredered new bulbs for it from hellolights (hellolights brand, not coralife, i dont like their bulbs). I was wondering if this is enoough light to raise lps corals in my 75 gallon tank (it isn't relaly 75 gallon it is 67. somthing, but whose counting?).

LPS corals don't need a terrible amount of light. I think 4 65 watt pc bulbs would be fine on a 75 for lps corals. Of course you should feed your lps corals meaty food too.

derek_setter":yyfsgfwz said:
I keep the calium well up there, and all i have in there as of now is one moon coral (lps i got to try) and 4 diff. zoa colonies and 1 rbta that hides in the back of the tank :roll: (i'm going to move it myself, i think it is stuck where it is becuase of a spot of high flow surrounding it). I dose b-ionic (just switched over from c balance).

Your rbta is not stuck, these animals can sqeeze through very tiny spaces, they don't get stuck. It is back there because right now that is where it is the most happy. I would advise against moving it unless you want it to wander some more. Be sure to feed it back there as best you can.

A

Anonymous

okay...sounds good with the lps...what do u recommend for feeding them?

and laura, i shoudl rephrase that, the anemone is on that top rock, and it tries to move forward, but the output for the sump blows right in front of it, and theout put for the lcosed loop cross in front of it....what i am saying is that when it tries to move forward, the flow is strong enough that it just gets blown really hard by the water movement, so it hough i would move it forward past there, and let it wander to a good place twoard the front. I feed it silversides at least once every two days--usually when it is open and hungry..

Thanks again,
Dirk

A

Anonymous

Do not move anemones too much. They will move to where they want to be on their own. Feeding once a week is more than enough IMO, unless you want to it to split.

You can turkey baster some meaty foods over LPSs but target feeding is not necessary in my experience.

MH is better but the current lighting is fine.

A

Anonymous

HAHAHA! i guess i am going to upgrade to halide lighting, after 11 months, i was getting ready to replace my pc light bulbs. I tried to remove the old bulbs and for some reason the bulbs broke apart and all the connections broke, i e-mailed the ppl that make coralife fixtures and asked for a refund. I was told by some people on reefcentral that becuase it broke before one year, they should be very willing to do so.

what do you all recommend as good lighitng for softies, lps, zoas, rics, palys i was loking at a 2x175 watt complete pendant system of some sort....money is kind of a problem as i wasnt expecting a huge ordeal over lighting tonight.

Yeah i know all about how to feed my anemone and all that jazz...i'm just extremely unhappy where it is, i know that bta's arent high light corals but it is actually hiding where there is NO light and i cant even see it.

I guess with the new light fixture i cant afford ayt coral anytime soon.... ahhh well

thanks everybody

Derek

A

Anonymous

hmm i dunno if i will be able to go actinics, i mean i was thinking JUST 2x175 mh.....is there summin wrong with that

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
existing set up is shot, the thig fell apart when i was replacing the bulbs, and that is hwy i ahve to buy a new fixture. I am hpion nto get a refund--the fixture wanst evena year old... and the bulb replacement ws routine.

I foudn a 2x175 w mh wtih 110 watt act. vho for 500 dolalrs used...sound okay/

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: