spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#7

MAG flakes users

Editors note (3/10/07): Note, the manufacturer of MAG flake has alerted us that they very strongly recommend against using this product in reef aquaria. While many reef aquarists have successfully used the product, the manufacturer does not claim to be able to provide this product at suitable quality in the future.

it has always been like that. This is not new.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Totally protecting themselves and making you aware that they don't intend for this to be a reef product, they intend for it to be a profitable product that melts snow. If they can add a chemical to it that will poison your reef but melt snow better they will do so without hesitation. They're making that clear. This product is for melting snow. There is no QA department at Mag testing to make sure that this is reef safe. :)

Last edited:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Just sounds like a manufacturer found out people were using their product for something that they don't normally sell it for. They're worried that someone may sue them over things dying from using their product. This is just to CTA.

That would be my professional opinion as well.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
That would be my professional opinion as well.

Matt, if the manufacturer did not issue the warning, would a lawsuit by a disgruntled reefer ever reach a courthouse?

Although we know the product works as an additive to our aquariums, how would one expect a judge/jury to understand that he/she used ice melt to grow tropical corals and things went wrong? :headache:

I couldn't imagine holding Mrs. Wage's Pickling Lime responsible, if a bad batch nuked my tank :scratch:

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Thats the problem. Even the most baseless lawsuit will reach the court house. You can, and people do, so over anything and everything. Whether they win or not, is another question, but it ends up costing the defendant or thier insurance company $. Often I settle cases, that I know that can be won at trial, for a few thousand just because it costs less than trying the case.

By issuing the disclaimer, it is easier to defend the case, plus they are also altering us to the fact that just because it was 99% pure when RHF tested it, doesn't mean that it will be tomorrow or that they have an obligation to keep it 99% pure.

P

Pedro

Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
If you use icemelt for your reef, you are on your own IMO. The company doesn't even have to give that disclaimer because that's not what they manufactured it for. People can sue them all they want, i'm sure it will be tossed that same day!

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
Thats the problem. Even the most baseless lawsuit will reach the court house. You can, and people do, so over anything and everything. Whether they win or not, is another question, but it ends up costing the defendant or thier insurance company $. Often I settle cases, that I know that can be won at trial, for a few thousand just because it costs less than trying the case.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU WOULD TYPE SOMETHING LIKE THIS IN A PUBLIC FORUM! I'm going to sue you for $99.95, but I'll settle out of court right now for some frags :)

fritz

Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
If you use icemelt for your reef, you are on your own IMO. The company doesn't even have to give that disclaimer because that's not what they manufactured it for. People can sue them all they want, i'm sure it will be tossed that same day!

You COULD sue because it doesn't specifically state that you CANNOT use it for a reef tank. Or as eye wash, or toothpaste, or hair gel, or as an ointment, or as a health tonic.........

That is why you get funny warning labels on products.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: