• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jpaul

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Hi guys, wondering if someone would be so kind as to explain why my magnesium is so high on my salifert test kit, it doesn't even change color. I dose alk and calcium, but not mag. Brand new kit. Any ideas and how can I correct it?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I'm not sure what your dosing [what brand] but 2 part also contains magnesium.

Some questions

What are you keeping your salinity at?

Have you checked with more than one Test kit?

What Brand Salt are you using?

Are you dosing equal parts of both ALK & CAL?

A good start would be checking a fresh batch of your salts MAG, along with making sure your salt is mixed [dry mixing]

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
I use Red sea coral pro as well and that may be your answer. Make sure you Dry mix the salt well.

I have found my batches to be very inconsistent when i check freshly made water. Most people don't test it but i generally do.

More than once it has mixed with OFF the charts Alk and other levels being out of whack.

what are your current ALK / CAL test results? Salinity?

Bikeboss11

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Try testing your magnesium with two different brands of test kits.... I say this because I recently bought a new salifert test kit and it showed that my magnesium was off the chart and when I used the old one it read 1300

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jordan you should text me whenever you have a problem dude wtf you know I'll help you out. That's the reason why I don't like coral pro or even reef crystals anymore, separation of components in the bucket means you gotta roll the damn think around on the floor/turn it upside down over and over to make sure the salt mix is actually mixed right. I'm curious to see if somebody brings a bucket of salt to Home Depot and pays some dude at the paint counter to toss it on their mixer if the salt works better

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: