dadstank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel like i have asked this question before, do you collect your RO top off water / water-change water in 1 container and mix it with salt in another, or do you do it all in the same container?

i do it all in the same container and finally found my my TDS meter today, and it is reading 23-25 confirmed. I know i am past due for a filter change, and this just confirms that, but i am curious how y'all do it and if mixing (i do wash it out after making saltwater, and never leave it in there as saltwater for more than 24 hours) is adding to the increased TDS during the "in-between" times with my regular top off water...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the RO going into one big container, and I mix saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket (I've a nano so I never change alot now). When I had more tanks I used to use 2 big garbage cans and I'd alternate, meaning I'd let one fill up with RO and mix/age saltwater in it while the other one filled with fresh RO.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measure the TDS of the water coming out of the RO directly, not what is in the container. Just get a clean plastic cup and hold it under the RO output for a few seconds, and measure the RO there. So, yeah, I do have two separate containers for the RO water (8 oz plastic cup) and the mixing container (60 gal sump) :)

AZDesertRat

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most accurate way to measure RO or RO/DI TDS is with a squeaky clean clear glass drinking water glass directly from the RO and/or RO/DI, not a storage container. Wash it by hand in very hot water and not the dishwasher so it does not have any water spots, anti spotting agents or soap film to mess with the readings. I triple rinse the glass and meter in DI water after each use and put the glass away upside down and the meter capped so they are ready for next time.
Measuring from the storage container often gives you false or higher readings since it is picking up dust and salt residue in the containers. I do test my autotopoff reservoir occasionally though just to see if I have any TDS problems there. So far after 14 months my TDS is still under 2 in my 23 gallon covered Rubbermaid Recycling can so its holding up well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dupaboy1992":3ermeo3x said:
I measure the TDS of the water coming out of the RO directly, not what is in the container. Just get a clean plastic cup and hold it under the RO output for a few seconds, and measure the RO there. So, yeah, I do have two separate containers for the RO water (8 oz plastic cup) and the mixing container (60 gal sump) :)

+1

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: