E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I picked up a Radion last night, and unfortunately my tank is on the first floor, computer is on the second floor. I would need a USB cable that's at least 40 feet to connect the light to my computer for programming. In addition, I would have to make changes, run downstairs to make sure I like them, then run back upstairs.

That said, I have the Netgear wireless gaming adaptor shown here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...567&CatId=2704

Will the above allow me to control the Radion with my iPad (which is on my wireless network at home)?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Eric, off topic, but I think the radion was the right lighting choice for the solana. When I went with the ATI on my solana LED's weren't so mainstream yet. The radions are growing on me but the price certainly isn't.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
Only if the Radion can have an ethernet connection (network connection)

I know they're "wireless" but I think it's the Ecotech proprietary "wireless" that I believe is RF controlled. Hmm...

Rich, thanks man. Hopefully I made the right choice. I've been doing research on lighting for the past three months now. It's too bad the Powermodule spilled so much light into the room. It was to the point of giving head aches to the people sitting on the couch. :(. The colors were great though!

It's too bad that most LEDs have negatives, and there's really no "perfect system". At least these are upgradable and the Ecotech support is top notch.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
I know they're "wireless" but I think it's the Ecotech proprietary "wireless" that I believe is RF controlled. Hmm...

Rich, thanks man. Hopefully I made the right choice. I've been doing research on lighting for the past three months now. It's too bad the Powermodule spilled so much light into the room. It was to the point of giving head aches to the people sitting on the couch. :(. The colors were great though!

It's too bad that most LEDs have negatives, and there's really no "perfect system". At least these are upgradable and the Ecotech support is top notch.

The Wireless gaming adapter is really just a wireless switch. They call them a gaming adapter because they used to be marketed for Xbox Playstation when they did not have a wireless card built in.

It is nothing more than a switch that connects to the network via wireless rather than a direct connection.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
The Wireless gaming adapter is really just a wireless switch. They call them a gaming adapter because they used to be marketed for Xbox Playstation when they did not have a wireless card built in.

It is nothing more than a switch that connects to the network via wireless rather than a direct connection.

So, to dumb this down to my level :D ..... "Eric, that won't work for you. You're out of luck."

Thanks for the help though!

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
The Radions are wireless between each other or multiple units but to set the programming, you need the USB interface attached one light and also to your computer. You also need a wifi or ethernet connection to run the server based software but not the older Desktop Utility software that came on a disk.
You do not need to be hooked up continously, just bring your laptop down to where the tank is and connect the light for programming or changes. You will need wifi or hardwire ethernet if your going to be using the Ecosmart software.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I wonder if the USB cable can be replaced by a wireless adaptor. I've seen wireless USB adaptors out there.

Problem is, my computer is a desktop and not easily moved.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
I wonder if the USB cable can be replaced by a wireless adaptor. I've seen wireless USB adaptors out there.

Problem is, my computer is a desktop and not easily moved.

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
I would think not because during one of my support sessions with the techs at Ecotech, they cautioned me that the 25 ft USB extention that I was using can degrade the signal unless I use some kind of signal booster device.

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
The ipad/iphone usb adapter is not going to work. There is very limited support for what you can do with that adapter...keyboard and memory card to offload your camera photos is basically all that it does.

The wireless usb ports are like a few hundred bucks and don't support all devices. It would not be the same as using a 25ft long cable as its translating the signal and rebroadcasting. Theres a good chance it will work, just not sure its worth the investment...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: