A

Anonymous

okay, how about this, i purify my tap water and add salt. keep it in an empty 10 gal and with a heater and small pump or airstone for circulation. test it before adding it, but use this for my partial water changes. have a 65g. tank so expect to change about 7 gal a week. what do ya'll think? thanks, damsel

A

Anonymous

That's exactly what I used to to before I got married and my wife didn't like a big barrell of water sitting in the middle of our guest bathroom. Sounds great to me!
smile.gif

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

I'm thinking of getting a big green plastic garbage can for my sw, a circular piece of particle board to rest on top (a couple of notches cut for powercords to run out) and putting a nice, long hanging tablecloth over it.

Maybe hubby will think I'm buying furniture, for a change, instead of more aquarium stuff.
smile.gif

------------------
What we got here is a failure to communicate
-Cool Hand Luke-

A

Anonymous

Most people mix of relatively large batches of salt water, and use it as needed. I make about 35 gallons at a time, and use it over several weeks.

Circulation is useful for the first day or two, but not so much after that. Heating is dependent upon how much you want to change. If your only changing a small amount each time (say, 5%) and have a large sump, you may not need to heat at all (I don't).

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a great plan to me.
Because of the size of my tanks, I have a 55 gallon polyethylene container in my basement the collects the output of my RO/DI unit. I have a small power head and a heater to keep it at 80 degrees. I use this for my fresh water plant tanks as well. I will be purchasing an additional 55 gallon polyethylene container for keeping pre-mixed salt water. I also built PVC plumbing system to deliver the water to my tanks via sump pumps. Maybe this sounds like an extravagant system, but for me water changes were one of the maintenance issues that it was too easy for me to get lazy on.

Regards,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott D Passe (edited 16 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Just be careful of recycled plastics, or maybe put on an activated carbon quick-filter for 24 hours before adding the water (although this can also remove substances of value).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: