Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy from marine depot all the time. I never bought from marine depot live. I didnt find that part of the site well stocked and it was never wysiwyg right? I usually only buy from wysiwyg livestock dealers.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They arent a publicly traded company so I cant review their financial statements but I'd speculate they had a lot of accounts payable and their debtors called it in. The way the economy is you'll be seeing a LOT of this.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm half surprised and half not ;) Livestock is a whole different ball game then dry goods, and if I was a company, I'd likely also concentrate on one or the other.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":190xd0ae said:
They arent a publicly traded company so I cant review their financial statements but I'd speculate they had a lot of accounts payable and their debtors called it in. The way the economy is you'll be seeing a LOT of this.

I think you a bit off base here :) It's hard to have debts when you buy as you go (drop shipped from 104th).

It's no surprise to me they shut it down. It never seemed to fly that hard.

fcmatt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the live part of their store always got a few pages in the back of their
catalog and gave me the impression it was not taken very seriously.
only the most common of stuff sold in the most generic of ways. prices
were not competitive either when you consider you can goto your LFS
in most areas and beat it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":2bdgjmbs said:
I buy from marine depot all the time. I never bought from marine depot live. I didnt find that part of the site well stocked and it was never wysiwyg right? I usually only buy from wysiwyg livestock dealers.

+1

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think MD simply wanted to try and "cash in" on the whole online livestock business being out there in LA. Unfortunately, they may have found out that it's not as lucrative as they thought (something LFS owners say all the time dry goods = money, live stock = brings customers in)

I wonder if the Marinecenter guys are still on vacation? :D

Sea Turtle

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a few dufficulties with them in the past. They really did have an awsome selection of live inventory though. Have any of you ever checked out atlantisaquarium.net? http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/ this store is great.

I use Salty Critter for everything. That store is great, has the cheapest and fastest shipping that I can find. Great Store!

Just for the recored DO NOT EVER buy from Big Al's. They SUCK a ball ****.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do alot of drygoods from PA but switched back to MD mostly, although I am still ordering from Aquarium Specialty too even after they took forever on my skimmer. For live goods I like to check local first but have ordered from Atlantisaquarium.net, seems they have a nice selection of the LE stuff but small frags, good service though. I have also ordered through Austin Aqua farms multiple times and love them, most my SPS came from other reefers though.

SlipperMan

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Turtle":3ollzxvj said:
I use Salty Critter for everything. That store is great, has the cheapest and fastest shipping that I can find. Great Store!

If you mean these guys, http://www.saltycritter.com/ then good call.

I've only been there once and was very impressed. All the corals were very healthy, although they were low on fish at the time. They were decked to the hills in Acans.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The owner tried to get into the livestock business back in the 1999 or so, seeing how successful some of the mail order places were doing, such as FFX and JEF. But, yeah, they never take off like it was expected, and it is not as profitable as it seem. The "local" one did not do that well lately, and JEF warehouse in Gardenia was sold to someone else, and after about a year, it was closed. Jeff still have two stores in Orange County, managed by himself and his brother, I think.

I used to deal a lot with MD because it is "local" and friendly. They used to be just a few blocks from me before they moved. Nowadays, it is more formal, and "will call" order was put in the lowest priority, and that kind of puts me off.

LakerFan

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

This is Ben from Marine Depot. We appreciate the feedback here. It's certainly was a difficult decision for us to make this move, but we're confident that it will allow us to put more focus and maintain the success of both MarineDepot.com and Petstore.com

Our customers will certainly benefit from it. Just this week, we've been able to put together a great package for anyone who wants to get into Nano Tanks. We've secured a deal for a Nano tank with 105 watts of PC lighting, a stand AND chiller for only $599.99 to our customers! We've got more on the way.

Dupaboy1992 - I'd like to hear more from you on how we can improve our will call service. Will call is actually one of the higher priority tasks we have in our warehouse so any recommendations you can make to us would be great. You can either email me Ben @ Marine Depot.com or call in and ask for me (i'm the only Ben here).

Thanks again. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Ben
Director of Operations
www.marinedepot.com / www.petstore.com

Raskal311

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben":3kggo4jn said:

From what I hear MD live didn't have a holding facility and shipped through a wholeseller so your not going to get the WYSIWYG deal.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeff's Exotic in Costa Mesa is also closing this weekend, so I guess the marine aquarium industry really taking a beating in this depression.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: