masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Andy, they are quality fixtures with sub par lighting. A 48" long light with two 150w MH's is inadequate for a 75g+ tank, IMO. I think you should be using two 250w MH's for a tank 20"+ in height.

Russ

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It's a rare day in November when Russ & I come close to disagreeing on ...well..anything, but I happen to be in love with this fixture.
Of course it has to be used on the correct sized tank, and what corals you plan to keep as well. I will be using it on the Marineland 45G which is only 18" deep.

I went on & on about it here on this thread...lol
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/67294-light-question.html

Andy - I'd highly doubt it would weigh that much - the 24" fixture shipped (including a double carton only weighed in at 22 pounds :) You can probably easily find the weight of the fixture on the internet :)

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
they are quality fixtures with sub par lighting. A 48" long light with two 150w MH's is inadequate for a 75g+ tank, IMO. I think you should be using two 250w MH's for a tank 20"+ in height.

Russ

Like Kathy said, used properly they are a great fixture (as I said too, note bold above). However, a company that uses the same 150w MH light on a 24" fixture as it does on its 48", 60" and even 72" fixture is missing the boat. It's either oversized for the 24" (and that's not the case here), or undersized for the larger fixtures.

If you don't plan on keeping anything but softies and LPS in your 48" tank, then you should be good to go. However, most times I see someone running MH's they plan to keep sps. This is where the fixture falls short, IMO.

jnohs

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand how some one culd think that 2 150 mh i not enough for a 75 gallon tank. I run 6 t5ho and casn kepp any coral with impresive growth provided i find a good spot and leave it alone.
with good lighting and bad water nothing will grow anyway. how about decent lihting and great water quality.

DSC_8317.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: