advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hey guys, the glass on my light fixture shattered somehow, and I've been waiting over a week for the guy at Cadlights to respond to my email to send me a replacement glass. I'm worried about my corals dying- is it safe to turn the light on without any protective glass? I was under the impression that you need uv-protective glass to protect the corals. Thanks!

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Why dont you try calling some of your local glass shops and see if they offer UV protective glass in the thickness you need, tell them the measurements and have them cut you a piece. If you do that and they can help you out dont forget to ask then to polish the edges- theyll take the sharp edges off all 4 sides so you have no danger of slicing your hand open on it.

Good luck

advanwoerden

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Thanks, I'll definitely try that. I've been less than impressed with Cadlights' responses to my questions and requests...

In the meantime tho, lights on or off?? If on, how many hours? It's been a week already, and I've only turned the lights on a few times, for a few hours at a time.

Chris Jury

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch. will just a few hours a day really be that bad?

Yes. The UV coming from those lamps is VERY strong, and can very effectively bleach/kill them. No light at all would be preferable, since they should be able to survive without light for at least a few weeks, whereas a few hrs with the unshielded light on might kill them.

Maybe you can borrow like an old PC fixture or something from somebody for a while?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: