kasha

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So I have a 90G with a fixture of 2x250W 14K pheonix and 2 96W actinic PCs with mainly SPS. Running a skimmer, phosban, macroalgae. My phosphates are zero per a Hanna and nitrates have always been zero. The tank's LR and half the water was transferred 6 months ago from a 45G.

My caps are growing fast have good color. Puple nana and green ORA stylopora are also growing decently but the colors arent the best. All other SPS are pretty dull looking with very light colors. They area all 6 inches under the surface. photo period is 5 hours MH (with a 2 hour stagger) and 8 hours actinics.

I recently read that SE produce a different more diffuse light than the SE bulbs. The 2 tanks I've seen that have been amazing are on 175W and 400W SE radiums.

2 Qs:
1)Does anyone have experience with both? Can you comment on coloring and growth?

2)What fixture do you recommend if I want a 400W SE setup for a 90G?

Thanks

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
1. Yes, and IMO color and growth has way more to do with water quality/stability than what brand of bulb you are running.

2. I don't know of any fixtures that come with 400w se bulbs...

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
a lot depends on how high above the water the bulbs/reflectors are located. fixtures sit low unless you hang them. having run both i prefered retro se bulbs in a canopy over the hqi fixture (current orbit) i am presently running.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I have run bolth types of Mh....I will tell you why I use SE.

1) There are many more choices of spectrum in SE
2) YOu do not have to sheild a Se bulb
3) It is cheaper

There are many choices for Se fixtures. LumenBright if you have the height.....Or Luminarc Fixtures....They bolth are spectacular fixtures.

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
HQI is simply a variance on the gas composition of the lamp. It contains halogens in combination with the standard metal halide gases (predominantly mecury 'Hg').

The HQI come in both single and double ended, the double ended being more sought after for the apparently better output. HQI are also commonly referred to in the lighting community as "color corrected MH". Supposedly (and I am not sure) there is a assumption that the HQI have a broader spectral output compared to the supply store MH, and the HPS.

The main differences I have found in the ballasts is the starting amperage. But, I have no long-term experience with coil ballasts as all I use is Icecap. My Icecaps have lit and burnt litteraly every lamp available to me (except for the Marine Depot brand Aqua Connect 11k, which I haven't tried yet).

Care of Reefland.com (2001)

and if you really want to do some reading ... articles by Sanjay Joshi
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/articles.htm

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: