fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
So a few days ago I decided to build a new canopy with a different design for my 75 gal tank and yesterday I did all of the wiring and put it on my tank, and today I noticed that one of my MH bulbs isn't firing all of the way. It was working perfectly fine yesterday before I switched the setup over and now there is a little bit of light but not nearly as much as the other light. There are 2x175w retrofits. Heres some pics
Both Lamps
IMG_0424.jpg

FTS (kinda hard to tell but left side is darker than right
IMG_0428.jpg

Can someone tell me whats up with it?

Social D

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem, I Dont know what is wrong with yours but it sounds like a faulty ballast, Check the warranty and see if you can get a new one replaced.

How long have you left it on, Sometimes mine take 10 minutes to fully fire up on one side

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I had the same problem, I Dont know what is wrong with yours but it sounds like a faulty ballast, Check the warranty and see if you can get a new one replaced.

How long have you left it on, Sometimes mine take 10 minutes to fully fire up on one side
I have left it on all day and it is still not firing all the way. I will check the wiring and if that doesn't work then I will check the warranty.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I tried re-wiring and pulling that little thingy out more and it still doesn't work so I checked the warranty and I think it is still under it so I emailed the place I got it from.

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I bet you it is the capacitor. They have limited live span and need to be replaced every so often. Which ballast do you have? You can try taking your 2 ballasts apart and swap the capacitor and see if it makes any difference.

fishfreak1242

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
18   2   0
I bet you it is the capacitor. They have limited live span and need to be replaced every so often. Which ballast do you have? You can try taking your 2 ballasts apart and swap the capacitor and see if it makes any difference.
Its actually just one dual ballast that runs both lamps. Here is where I got it from: http://www.aquacave.com/aquamedic-d...-retro-kit-withbrelectronic-ballast-1196.html
Im not really too sure about taking it apart. I'll see what the people at aquacave say before I do anything and possibly void the warranty.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: