Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read where the nipple on a MH bulb should be pointed up. Fine. What do you do when, in order to get the nipple is up, the bulb is either too loose to fire or would have to be really forced (too far, I think) into the socket?
icon_confused.gif

Second ? is a little more esoteric. I'm reading the "warning for users" sheet that comes with Iwasaki's. Has the usual "don't operate with tongue on bulb" etc. warnings. But one of them has me wondering. It says lamp fixture must be enclosed and enclosure must be able to withstand the discharge of "hot quartz arc tube particles". They go on to say that only tempered glass is suitable.

Now, I have no problem operating a lamp without an enclosure, but what's with these "HQATP"'s? Is this anything like deadly gamma radiation?
icon_eek.gif
Do I need to dress my wife and dog in lead suits?????

Just wondering,

Coraltank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emmitt,the HQAPT's are just parts of the bulb.Mostly the glass envelope and some of the metals that boil to arc the bulb.They just want to protect you if the bulb ever "Pops".Actually
gamma rays are the least deadly of the radiation,if I remember correctly.

jbpig

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the likelyhood of a bulb breaking at 8-10 off the water surface? should you put a shield between your bulbs and lights like the ones that come with aluminium hoods?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the socket, you can also adjust how deep the bulbs seats by adjusting the contact inside the socket.

It is the springy metal flange at the bottom of the socket, you can pull it up to decrease the number of revolutions the bulb needs to make contact.

Work it, until you have nipples up!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nipples don't have to be perfectly up either. Keep them between 10&2 and you should be ok. Of course the closer to 12 the better. HTH

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emmitt--when we talk about using the bulbs with the nipple up or down, we're not usually talking about loosening or tightening the bulb to make it point up. What we're talking about is how to install the sockets. Most mogul sockets have two screws for mounting, which means that they can be rotated 180 degrees depending upon which screw goes through which mounting hole. So what you do is put your bulbs in the sockets (all the way in), and then mount your sockets so that the nipple is pointing toward the top hemisphere of the bulb. HTH

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Coraltank. I suppose it wouldn't have sounded so dramatic if they'd just said "broken glass" or maybe "white hot molten shards capable of ripping flesh to shreds"

Sorry, I'm at work and a little bored
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif

Nothing on the nipple thing, eh?

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Emmitt:
<STRONG>Nothing on the nipple thing, eh?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See my last post, Emmitt. You must be so bored you overlooked it!
icon_biggrin.gif

Emmitt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, James. HTH, indeed! Yes, of course. Ya know, when I was thinking about this, briefly it crossed my mind that moving the sockets was probably the way to do it but that thought kept on going an out the other side of my head. I havn't actually set up the lights yet, still building the canopy.
Maybe adjusting the sockets would have occured again when the time came, maybe not.

Doesn't matter now, thanks to you!!
icon_cool.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: