autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i got this mille colony that i thought was doing well.....i noticed the guy wasnt growing its base for some time now......but this week i really noticed its been loosing its polyps/tissue from the bottom and slowly going upward.....is this what they call STN? if so what can i do to save it.....im guessing im gonna need to frag it at the bottom where the tissue is recieding.....

all my other sps are fine and i notice growth on them but one millie seems to have some issues....its at the top of the rockwork about 8" from the light...

params seems good
ph -8.3
sg -1.025
calcium - 460
kh -11
nitrate - 5.0
phosphate -0.25
using AP test kits

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

deelucky

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
you can try fragging from the bottom. but sometimes that doesnt help if its in bad shape. the AP test are garbage,chances are your phosphate godd be higher then indicated.i know alot guys here use the hanna as far as testing phos.good luck.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
yea, that looks like tissue necrosis. watch it very closely as it can spread across the colony very quickly. You may want to frag it, especailly if it continues any further. I have in the past taken a wait and see attitude, and have had colonies come back, but more often than not they continue untill it is too late.

More imporantly why has it started to STN. What are your parameters (and with what are you testing them), and have you seen any big swings lately. My guess, would be either an Alk swing or a Temp swing.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Sorry, somehow missed where you posted parameters...
I don't see an ALK test.....(edit: I really am dumb)

AP tests are fine for amonia and, nitrite. Get some salifert test kits for calcium, alkalinity and nitrate.

AND YOUR PHOSPHATES ARE VERY VERY VERY VERY HIGH....

autoponicz

powered by MR
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
i used AP test kits....im gonna order some salifeert kits soon.....

there was a PH swing last week.....it kept dropping to 8.15
and i have been adding seachem buffer....today the ph is at 8.3.....i dunno what happen....usually it stays above 8.2..

should i just cut the whole bottom of this colony or should i cut it up to smaller pieces....i dont have a electric cutter...
im gonna make a few serperate frags just in case ..

autoponicz