theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Fiji, miracle mud, caribsea, all basically the same, and goes against what triton recomends for their method of nutrient control.
Unless you want to use triton?s ?other method? because you have other means of nutrient control,
don?t put mud

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
im actually deciding triton or regular 2 part only because triton is always out of stock dont wanna start with it then rely on it and cant get it if i go with miracle mud and chaeto in the refugium and dose cal alk mag would i be just as good as opposed to the triton method which would be better

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Miracle mud is 80% ocean mud, 20% added trace elements

Caribsea and Fiji are 100% ocean mud.

Have used them all, with and without sand cap. Would say caribsea with aragonite sand cap gave best results. But many variables so hard to say for sure

All 100% against what triton recomends

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If your fuge is big enough, and set up right, than triton method is not needed, as far as for nutrient control.

I?m going on 3 years on a 220, 2 years on a a 150, and one year on another 150 with no water changes needed yet. On the 220 i?m considering triton as a way of replacing trace elements, because i?m Not doing water changes.

Think of triton as two parts. One part is for nutrient control, the other part is keeping trace elements in line, which goes way beyond alk, cal, and mag.
If you have the means to control nutrients, then you use triton?s other method. Because triton?s regular method has added fertilizer in just about all the trace elements as a way of getting macro to grow faster and consume nutrients, which you probably wouldn?t want if you already have enough means of removing nutrients with your set up

jkidd155

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
My set up is intended for triton as far as the sump. NO reactors at all just relying on the refugium and skimmer I have a 120 refugium is 10% as far as recommended by triton I originally wanted to go with it but like I stated before always out of stock

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
If you have a sump designed for triton, than it?s backwards, and not most effective way if you?re not using triton.
Meaning...
Triton wants dirty water from tank to go to fuge first, then skimmer. Without triton it?s best to go to skimmer first, then fuge

MaraMotts

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
there is nothing wrong with using miracle mud or fiji mud with triton method and or other methods. Triton method calls for several types of macro algae so you can use the mud substrate for your macro's (not cheto) to plant in, the only challenge would be is the 10x flow thru sump keeping the mud down. If you decide to use miracle mud you might have higher accumulations of trace elements then called for and issues related to the particular elevated element. Some reefers have had good results with miracle mud in a reactor using Triton other methods. You might want to consider using other methods till your tank has matured and then switching to full Triton(If thats the in thing at the time). IMO and results the full Triton is a very stable method which is the key

MaraMotts

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
all 3 Triton products (Methods) will work its your choice. If you choose the Core 7 Triton Method then just stick to the method as stated 1. at least 10% fuge volume with 3 types of macro algae 2. followed by skimmer 3. followed by gfo 4. 10x flow thru sump 5. test adjust test adjust test adjust etc.

yes and yes all methods will work with a fuge

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: