furry

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So mixed alot of salt all at once in my tank (first time setup) and the water became extremely cloudy with a fine precipitate that i could almost net out. Had the heater running arooud 80ish and 2 pumps circulating the water. Also should be noted that im using an older bucket of synthetic sea salt (clumpy, did not dissolve well). It remained this way for about 5ish hours when i realized something may be wrong.

So after some research I realized my fast mixing, crappy salt (i believe it caused the ph to spike), high temp (it peaked at 84 with the hood closed and lights on) caused my water to become super cloudy and led to a ppt (not sure if it was carbonate or mg).

Solution: Kept the pumps running to aerate the water. Shut off heater, opened hood and turned off lights to bring the temp back down. Measured pH and i was off the wall 8.8+ so added white vinegar in 15 ml increments until i saw a noticeable drop in pH down to about 8.0. And soon my water became clear again.

Just wanted to post this for noobs (like myself) who may encounter the same problem.

Jkedra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So mixed alot of salt all at once in my tank (first time setup) and the water became extremely cloudy with a fine precipitate that i could almost net out. Had the heater running arooud 80ish and 2 pumps circulating the water. Also should be noted that im using an older bucket of synthetic sea salt (clumpy, did not dissolve well). It remained this way for about 5ish hours when i realized something may be wrong.

So after some research I realized my fast mixing, crappy salt (i believe it caused the ph to spike), high temp (it peaked at 84 with the hood closed and lights on) caused my water to become super cloudy and led to a ppt (not sure if it was carbonate or mg).

Solution: Kept the pumps running to aerate the water. Shut off heater, opened hood and turned off lights to bring the temp back down. Measured pH and i was off the wall 8.8+ so added white vinegar in 15 ml increments until i saw a noticeable drop in pH down to about 8.0. And soon my water became clear again.

Just wanted to post this for noobs (like myself) who may encounter the same problem.

The vinegar part interests me. So it really does work and its not harmful in any way?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: