A

Anonymous

Okay guys, I'm upgrading my tank and can't make up my mind here. I'm torn between the look of the Solana (and I like the 14,000K HQI Lamp 2x32w Dual SunPaq lamps)

25 gallon Solana

and the better functionality of the modded JBJ at Nanotuners, with the built in wave maker and upgraded lighting that's on sale now:

JBJ HQI modded

Heck, I even looked at the Red Sea Max 34 gallon because it's a touch bigger and on sale, but I dunno about the lighting...

RedSea Max 34 gallon

Thoughts? I got my yearly bonus earmarked for this :D and have to decide soon because I have to move the existing tank in a week or so and that would be the perfect time to swap it out.

A

Anonymous

Get this carp out of here!!! ;)

Alright, as much as those "nanos" cost why not get a real man sized tank?! :D... no seriously.. room an issue?

Out of those choices what do you primarily want to grow? Softies? Stonies? Any stonies? If you don't have any/many hard corals, the HQI is a tad overkill IMO. I like the redsea max, since it even comes with the stand and everything, however I hate power compacts, but it's something I could live with for the extra size and stand. I like the clean lines of the Solana but hate the pendant, I mean it's a nano-cube tank, you need to be all compact with no visible other stuff.

So my vote is between the JBJ and the Redsea. If you already have a stand the JBJ could sit on, I'd lean that way, you can always swap out the bulb on the halide if you like the 14k look. If all you have is softies and fish, Redsea all the way.

A

Anonymous

Okay, keep in mind I've REALLY been out of the business for awhile now, but I really like that JBJ except for the damn skimmer being an airstone. It seems like a well thought out system up until that 1988 throwback.

A

Anonymous

Tracy,I am voting for the purple thong but feel free to post pics of other colors just in case. :D

A

Anonymous

sfsuphysics":1d6wjdib said:
Get this carp out of here!!! ;)

Alright, as much as those "nanos" cost why not get a real man sized tank?! :D... no seriously.. room an issue?

Very much an issue, I've got about 4ft of floor space.

Out of those choices what do you primarily want to grow? Softies? Stonies? Any stonies? If you don't have any/many hard corals, the HQI is a tad overkill IMO. I like the redsea max, since it even comes with the stand and everything, however I hate power compacts, but it's something I could live with for the extra size and stand. I like the clean lines of the Solana but hate the pendant, I mean it's a nano-cube tank, you need to be all compact with no visible other stuff.

I have acans, anchor, rics, zoas, challice, leather and palys currently. I like the idea of HQI because I can grow anything with it-even a small clam. I don't mind the pendants, IME it's easier to service it that way.

So my vote is between the JBJ and the Redsea. If you already have a stand the JBJ could sit on, I'd lean that way, you can always swap out the bulb on the halide if you like the 14k look. If all you have is softies and fish, Redsea all the way.

No stand, so I'd have to pop $200 on top of the $500 for a stand for the JBJ which is why it's equitable with the others.

seven":1d6wjdib said:
I'm voting for the JBJ as well, skimmer issue aside....and now I'm gonna slather on some SPF2000000000 because if any thread were headed to the light, this is it :D

Aww DAMNIT I meant to post this topside :oops: maybe Matt would be so kind as to move this there. I hate the idea of the elcheapo skimmer with the JBJ-they suggest another $150 for a Sapphire. Once my old tank is broken down I'll try and sell off the stuff to recoup a portion of the new setup price.

A

Anonymous

_Andy":2f2e6rw7 said:
Tracy,I am voting for the purple thong but feel free to post pics of other colors just in case. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

Moved it!

I will say that an limewood airstone skimmer can be remarkably effective, and uses much less wattage (and is quieter!) than a venturi driven skimmer. If you guys haven't had a chance to check out Ken Feldman's articles in AAOLM about skimmer performance and TOC, you should. He found that DD, NW, and CC airstone skimmers performed equally well at removing TOC, although they are only capable of removing about 20-30% of it. Of course, activated carbon will do a much better job than any of them at removing TOC, but it is pricier. Not such a big deal in a 20g tank.

If it were me, I'd go with whatever tank and lighting looks best to my eye, add some activated carbon in the back, and call it a day.

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my sons tank didnt actually have a leak, I dont know what happened. I know I told you about that in your build thread. Anyhow I set it back up, it was a stock JBJ 28. The stock lighting does fine for any coral we have put in there. But with out a doubt you can not run this tank with out a chiller, even with your A/C running. With the hood shut the bulb is very close to the water and the tank will easily go to the high 80's. I put a 1/10hp chiller in the stand and never looked back.

I didnt like the skimmer it came with either, and put on a remora instead which I also dont like too much. I don't think it matters much though is you keep up on teh W/C in a tank this small. Marine Depot sells the JBJ 28 HQI stock for the same $499 but includes the stand free (which came out a little wobbly for me but works fine) Of course with nano tuners you get the extra PC's in there but if you buy the stand its $169.

GL on W/e you go with! :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I like the looks of the Javier over the JBJ. But I think the size of the Red Sea Max gives it the edge. The only hesitation I'd have with it is over having a Red Sea skimmer (they don't have the best reputation I think), but if you're not keeping SPS, maybe that's less of a concern, particularly if your fish bioload isn't too high.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the JBJ with a Sunpod fixture. It prevents the heat problem that Ben mentioned.

file.php

I bought the tank, light fixture and a Stapphire skimmer from Nanotuners. It wasn't a package deal, but it was still reasonable priced. I think it was around $450.00.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh! I hage decisions. The heat issue with the jbj is a concern too, I don't want to have to buy a chiller which is why I liked to Solana. I found the RedSea unit for $650 delivered online :?

...sigh.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":w7c9oyps said:
I bought the tank, light fixture and a Stapphire skimmer from Nanotuners. It wasn't a package deal, but it was still reasonable priced. I think it was around $450.00.

Louey

I remember your tank quite well Louey, I'll drop them a line and see what they can do for me. Also found the Dr's version of the current USA Solana that offers more flexible lighting choices.

24 gallon

MartinE

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Solana. The others are so closed off to air circulation, one has to wonder what that would do for things like heat, PH, etc. and where does all the evap. go under those enclosed plastic lids? And what does evap. do to the light fixture in those hoods in the long term, prolly a fair amount of corrosion going on as the years go by would be my guess.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at the modded JBJs, all the websites that build them recommend that the fans in the hood be changed out every 6 months...that adds up to some serious $$$

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont have that problem with the Sunpod or any type of pendant. The Sunpods have fans, but I don't think are needed to cool the tank. They might cool the bulb, but that's about it. I wouldn't replace it if it did burn out. Actually, I'd be glad because fans make noise.

I wouldn't want the hood for all the reasons mentioned above.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I bit the bullet and ordered the Dr's version of the Solana. 24 gallons with the 150w HQI pendant. They had a special on the starfire glass (they call it HC) version tank with all the trimmings, stand and pendant for less than $500. I'll start a build thread once it comes in. Thanks for all the input guys, it was appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in, but I won't have time to fuss with it for a couple of days. So far, it looks solid and nicely put together and I've started a new tank thread in the specs forum 8)

Attachments

• 06 10 09 arrival.JPG
    06 10 09 arrival.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 597

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: