P

paulbrake

Hi,

I was hoping that I could get your feedback on Pentair Aquatics modular filtration system (see below). I have just purchased a 20 gal long tank and intend to set up a shallow reef. I am considering the single size chem, mech, heater, and UV modules which run around $270 for the set; however, before I shell out the money, I was hoping to get any feedback (pros and cons) as to how good this choice would be, or if there is a better alternative.

Thanks,
Paul.

ModSys%2BQ1sm.jpg

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It would be best to know what else you would like to add to your tank..will you be using live rock, sand and a skimmer?

Your money might be better spent on a good skimmer, a 100w heater and a phosban reactor. I personally don't suggest the use of a UV light as they cannot discriminate between good and bad bacteria, and most especially not on a new tank.

..and Welcome to MR!! :)

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I second what Kathy said. Putting your money into a GOOD skimmer, heater and phosban reactor will set you on a straighter path and you'll wind up spending less money. The live rock and skimmer will provide all the biological filtration you need. You'll always have to do water changes anyway.

Oh, and welcome to MR ;)

swimmer

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have never used this setup but imo I think it seems like a pretty great setup. Everything streamlined to work and fit together! Plus all of the stuff in the picture you are going use or will want to use. UV to clear up the water, constant flow throught the heater evening out temperature fluctuations, a chemical filter for phosphate removal and carbon, and mechanical to get rid of all those floaty things in your water column. But then again I have never used this setup.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
And even after that you'll still want a skimmer. No need to spend that kind of money to store a heater, carbon, phosban, or mechanical filtration for that matter.

Hydor EKIP makes a great nano size heater with a powerhead built in (for constant flow) = $50
Phosban reactor = $35
pump for reactor = $15
skimmer = $200
pump for skimmer = $50

This gives you all you need for $350.

The Pentair setup is $270. Add the skimmer and pump and you're up to $520.

The $170 savings buys you LR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: