blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was reading an article about David Saxby's tank http://www.ultimatereef.com/TOTM/2007_jan/ where he believes phosphates, not nitrates are the most lethal thing to a reef tank. I was thinking about this and I must say its a well grounded opinion. One because well he's doing it, and two because we know phosphates stunt coral growth in sps and inverts. Which also reminds me of another study where clams and some corals fed upon nitrates in the water column. So what do you guys think? It it possible that the real enemy here is phosphate and not nitrates (in small ammount of course).

Note: Of course we all know ammonia is the end all killer.
Attn Vendors: Please no phosban or rowaphos ads

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find in that article where he says phosphate is the most lethal thing in a tank and on what that opinion is grounded. Could you quote it here for us?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure that his suggestion that people add a small octopus to their tanks is that practical. 8O

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That octopus thing is really annoying and I wish it would go away.

It seems like its just his feeling regarding P04, and he doesn't really elaborate on what the 'problems' are nor does he explain reasons why, so its hard to tell if he is talking about algae (nitrate and P04 issues) or hard coral growth. I am leery of this kind of anecdotal evidence, even from experienced reefers.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats why I was wondering if anyone else on here had toyed with the idea or what they had to say on the matter. Obviously phosphates are a problem and dont belong on the reef.

And about the octopus lol I dont think I'll be buying one.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":g950vare said:
"Keeping phosphates down to very low levels is of paramount importance for coral growth," he explained. "It's the advent of very effective phosphate removers like Rowaphos and test kits that can measure down to the very low PO4 levels we need to attain that has made this possible."
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=153

Except people were doing fine before Rowa. :D

Also, what corals? :D

No doubt there are issues with stonies and PO4, but I really want science!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thales":3z3zg295 said:
blackcloudmedia":3z3zg295 said:
"Keeping phosphates down to very low levels is of paramount importance for coral growth," he explained. "It's the advent of very effective phosphate removers like Rowaphos and test kits that can measure down to the very low PO4 levels we need to attain that has made this possible."
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... cle_id=153

Except people were doing fine before Rowa. :D

Also, what corals? :D

No doubt there are issues with stonies and PO4, but I really want science!

Correct me if I am wrong , but isn't ROWAPHOS one of his (Saxby) companies?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still talking about the first article :)

So you have a guy who sells PO4 remover saying PO4 is the most toxic thing to a reef tank?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right I see your point, however I'd be worried if we had a guy who sold phosphate removers (isnt the only thing he sells) and DIDNT use it in his tank.
I dunno, figured it would at least be an interesting topic to talk about while at work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blackcloudmedia":30o0i5ok said:
Right I see your point, however I'd be worried if we had a guy who sold phosphate removers (isnt the only thing he sells) and DIDNT use it in his tank.

Oh now that I would be afraid of as well :)

Saxby is a well accomplished reefer with a lot of access to heavy thinkers. I'd suspect he's right about that.

I know a few guys to point this question to, I'll send them emails now (and links so they can reply here :) )

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: