jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looking to upgrade my flow in the tank.
I have a 58gal display. 36x18x20
Right now I have 3 Hydor powerbeads that work fine but a lot of dead spots.

Thinking of making the plunge and spending money on one mp10(or mp40 if needed) or these gyre powerheads.

I have no first hand knowledge of gyre. Anyone have opinions either way? Would one mp10 be enough for my 36" long tank?

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
All depends on the coral you plan to keep. I have a IM 30L dimensions are somewhat similar with a 36x15x12 dimension.

Right now I am running an IceCap gyre setup 2k + a 1k, SPS dominant with a few euphyllia and a handful of zoas.

If I could do it right the first time I would try for AI NERO5s for more of a wide flow and better simple UI.

With my tank being 15width, the gyres on both ends take up a lot of real estate, which isn't helped by my rockwork.

In a negative space rockwork design, I don't think you can go wrong with either. However if you like having more space in the tank, vortech (300$each) or AI NERO (200$each). Need to go budget? Jebao ($80) or Reefbreeders(130~$) copied the design of the nero but the controllers aren't as controllable as the forementioned options.

I don't know if maxspect went with an app but I do like IceCaps app. I haven't had too much of an issue with it.

Again with my setup/rockwork, I think the AI Neros would have had a better flow than the gyres so I may be biased right now. I had the Maxspect Gyres on my old Red Sea Reefer 350 so figured why not.

My opinion, go with 2 vortech mp10 if you don't like cords in the tank and you plan to keep wrasses. Try the AI NEROs or go to someone who has a similar setup and request for a video. I can take one of the ICECAPS if you need me to. Not many videos on youtube.

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the info. I was looking at Icecaps but wasnt sure if they were quality.

I know mp10s work well with opposing pumps but didnt think it would be necessary with how big my tank was. Is it possible to get good flow with a single mp10 or mp40?

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Only ever ran 2 MP10s. Sorry, I cant comment.

I would run 2 MP10s vs 1 MP40.

Think common rule is buy 2 vs 1 to create better motion, redundancy and flexibility.

Rating - 100%
278   0   0
one mp10 isnt going to work in your situation, they really suck at moving water long distances.

if you dont mind the cleaning then the gyre is the better pump of the 2, not to mention the cord inside the tank is a eye sore.
the gyre's will need to be at min. every month. if not they really suffer in terms of power. but if you clean them monthly then they work alot better and moving water without dead spots.
i had a gyre and it was a perfect balance, but the cleaning eventually became such a burden I went back to mp40's

good luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: