Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Awesome looking tank! Great variety on those zoas, and I like how you spread them around; "zoa garden" is definitely appropriate :)

For the uninformed, how did you go about mounting the frags to the rocks? Are they just superglued directly to the rock?

Mr. Microscope

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Awesome pico man. I was recently forced to downgrade my 14g to a 12g but after chancing upon your thread I don't feel as guilty as I did before, heh. Can't wait to see everything grown in with your picotope. Keep the pics coming!

Thanks guarda! Yes. There is a lot you can do with limited gallonage. There are tons of people doing the pico thing and lots of little strategies out there for making it a success. I've had this going almost 10 months with no major problems. I like going for the less is more approach. I'll be upgrading in about a half year. Probably to a 25 cube, but that's still pretty small compared to what a lot of people are doing.

Mr. Microscope

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Awesome looking tank! Great variety on those zoas, and I like how you spread them around; "zoa garden" is definitely appropriate :)

For the uninformed, how did you go about mounting the frags to the rocks? Are they just superglued directly to the rock?

Thanks noobzy!
Yup, most of the zoas were mostly just superglued, but that was just to start them. Then they spread on their own. Or, I started them on a rock that was mounted to a plug, let them grow out a little, and then took the rock off the plug and glued the rock down directly. So, no damage to the zoas.

Mr. Microscope

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hello All,

I haven't updated in a while. So, here it is.

FTS 2011.01.05
FTS_20101221.jpg
I used a better camera on this one. I also accidentally took an image with the flash on. I was about to discard it, but it gives an interesting perspective of the tank. This is about how it looks with the LEDs off and my office lights on.
FTSFlash20101221.jpg

Coralsflash20101221.jpg

Here are a few fun shots from above:
Top20101221.jpg

Above20101221.jpg

pinkprocillapora20101221.jpg

greenporcillapora20101221.jpg

Cone20101221.jpg

CORALS!
Abovezoas20101221.jpg

I may add a tiny three stripe damsel in a while. 'Gonna let the corals settle into place for a while first.

Mr. Microscope

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Update 2011.04.08 (Yes, I know it's the 11th, but pics taken on the 8th)

To start out, here's a few FTS's.

FTS20110408sideB.jpg
Comparing all LEDs and just the Blues:
FTSwb20110408.jpg
I feel like I'm getting better at adjusting the royal blue images to get an accurate representation. The greens really turn out well, but the challenge is with the reds. The camera can't really pick up the pop I'm getting on my warmer colors which really are amazing in person!

Here's a fun video of the tank:
I've been feeding a good amount of phyto and the GSP is loving it. I even target feed this colony and the polyps close up on the phyto and come open back up again begging for more. Here's an update on their progress. (RB/CB LED's)
GSP20110408progress.jpg
Just for fun, I took a few images from the sides of the tank. Here you can see the M3R rack.
otherside20110408.jpg
And from the other side. I like the depth of field in this one:
sideview20110408.jpg
Here's a neat video from a similar perspective. You can see the xenia pulsing like crazy here. The driver I had on my white LEDs blew out, and I had my tank under just blue LEDs for a couple weeks. After fixing it and putting on the whites for the first time in a while, the Xenia went crazy and pulsed all day long, faster than I've ever seen!
When I was taking this shot, I accidentally took this one. I was about to throw it out, but I think it turned out pretty cool.
Crazysideview20110408B.jpg
Here are a few highlights. These were taken under just Royal Blue and Cool Blue LED's. In the bottom left, you can see the trumpet that I got a while ago that bleached. It has gotten most of its color back and is plumper than ever. The Organism palys (upper right) have drawn back to the rock and are no longer stretching. The Green Implosions here seem to be maintaining their deep green better than the ones up top that are getting more white stripes (no, not bleaching, just morphing a little). Whammin' Watermelons and Tub's Blues healthy as ever are in the lower right.
RBhighlights.jpg
Some more NW, RB, CB Vs. Blues images:
zoasbw20110408.jpg
Finally, here's the rack with just blues, and all LEDs:
rackbw20110408.jpg
Maintenance update:
Since taking out my Chemi-Pure Elite, everything seems okay. I guess it's too soon to say if it's better or not. I'm definitely having to clean the glass more frequently. That probably means that there's a lot more nutrients in the water.

Also, I stopped doing the heavy feedings and 90% water changes. Mostly because it's been too much of a PITA to do at work compared to just 4L which I can brew up in a large beaker. I'm still feeding 250 microliters of live phyto once or twice a week and some Coral Frenzy. All feedings are targeted for the most part.

As I mentioned before, one of my BuckPucks blew. I had to order a new one and replace it which took a few weeks due to personal business. I've heard from several other sources that BuckPucks are known to be unreliable, but for driving such a small amount of LEDs with dimmers, they are really the only option. For example, I have just one LED on one of my drivers. I don't think that can be done on any other drivers out there.

Finally, I went to the Manhattanreefs Frag Swap today. I definitely got some goodies (and I won a few!!!). More updates to come!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: