drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any educators on the board?

Friend of mine approached me about teaching Marketing @ his school. I've got my BA in Marketing and Advertising, plus my state certification.

Just curious if I had a shot at the position since i dont have any actual teaching experience other than tutoring in college. It would be a big change from the Marketing job I have now, but i always wanted to teach, hence the certification :shhh:

any thoughts or recommendations?

TimberTDI

Recovering Lurker
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In order to get your state certification I imagine you had to take some education courses? Go for it, I'm sure they'll let you take any teaching classes you need.

Steven

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
So, this school is in the K-12 range or is it a community college?
If K-12, I don't know the type of cert you need (they change every year some times...) but you can look on the praxis website and also ask that fellow what category marketing should be under.

If you do need a certificate more specific than you already have, it's most likely just a Praxis test away, register with the state for the papers and then talk to the fellows principal (lol, you're friend should get full approval from the principal first btw just to make sure. NJ allows alternate routes and I think NY does as well because of the teacher shortages)

I don't know the school you'll teach in...but if it's not college level...I think you should have a bit more experience than tutoring. In NJ you have 1 semseter of 3 courses and 1 semester of 2 courses each course being 80mins with at least 25 students per course. Traditional teaching route has you do a year of student teaching sort of like residency before you can get your own class.

I am doing alternate route with Teach for America/ Seton Hall University. So I take extra education courses at the same time, plus did 70hrs per week of teaching and taking courses last summer. It's not easy.

Lol, btw, I just looked at your avatar again and you're in NJ. Good, same state. You can get into a program with Keane University that hires more teachers through an alternate route program. Let me know if you want more info on any of this.
I just started the 07-08 school year.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For NY you need some things straightened out before you can officially teach in a public school .. I should know since i just finished all the requirements (Finished my B.S with a 131 credits) ... and its possible (as annoying as it is) that some schools might even want a candidate to be dually certified and/or have a masters!!

Here is the sure fire way of handling it ...

1. Take the L.A.S.T (like an SAT test) $88
2. Take the ATS-W (teaching situational test) $88
3. Take the C.S.T (your content test (marketing/advertising) if available $88
4. Graduate with a Degree

Only after you pass all three test can you apply for certification ... its a long process and costly as you can see ...

Apply for fingerprinting $99
Apply to T.E.A.C.H for certifications $50
Depending on the certifications you may need a reference letter from a college to ok it .. .
Finally Wait :eek:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Unless it is an emergency, you need at least a masters to teach full time at a community college. They might hire you as an adjunct without a masters (or an MBA) but the adjunct pay in New York at the college level is terrible and you would have to teach a really high course load to make your bills. Not sure what the pay is in NJ.

drunktank

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i see a lot of college talk, this position is for Highschool. I already have my BA in two business fields, and I already have my teaching certification from the state of NJ... i passed the background/drug/fingerprinting stuff and passed the Praxis exam.

my concern is with not having any teaching exp... only real world work exp.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Like I said, it's fine not having experience. I just started, almost finished my first year. I've only had classes and student teaching during last summer, I did feel pretty prepared, and realistically...I am. TFA gives a lot of veteran teacher studies in great packages.

I'd say visit some classrooms in the school you will likely teach in. Talk to the teachers, talk to the students (as well as being a silent observer). Also read some books on good teaching: the skillful teacher by jon saphier, what to do in the block (most NJ HS have 80m classes now which is a change from the 45m per class schedule), get up to date on differentiated learning and how it should be approached with your subject matter. Talk to veteran teachers for your subject.

Other than that, realize it's likely going to be 60-70 real work hours per week until you get it down and really organized. It seems like a breeze and only maybe 50-60hrs per week for teachers that have been doing it for years and are just reusing/revamping old worksheets/lesson plans.

What I found most distressing about teaching without traditional teaching is : I just KNOW this stuff...how do I teach it to kids that are/are not on grade level/teach it period.

(Though I'm pretty sure all beginner teachers feel that way)
Good luck

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
oh lol, and just like in this thread, don't assume the kids will know what you expect of them. You have to be 100% clear. Like your initial post wasn't clear about what you wanted from us, so we all gave you information on a variety of things you weren't looking for.

:) that's always fun to see in the classroom

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: