InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Hi Guys
Now that my sump/fuge is finished what should I use for a substrate in the fuge, Mud or Sand? I was planning on using a 5" base of aragonite sand.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't think you'd need mud, I heard they're expensive. I used sand in mine, and my mangrove pods still grew into nice little trees.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Cool, I don't even know what the mud is actually for anyway but was curious because I see it advertised everywhere. I'll just do the sand.

Last edited:

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
what are you trying to accomplish with the extra sand/mud?

If your adding mud its to simulate a DSB, which apparently now isn't as beneficial as people thought it to be long run, and if not maintained can be bad for your tank. But mud needs to be changed out every once in a while. And it has to be set up correctly to work the right way, usually using a plenum system. But the mud will give the area the best surface area for beneficial bacteria to flourish.

Sand your just basically adding more room for bacteria to populate and add some extra filtration, ie. DSB. But with the very low sump flow rates dirt and crap tend to build up inside the sand usually giving you more trates and P04 than they remove in the long run without you stirring it every once in a while.

Or you can leave it empty. and just have that 5" of extra water which is cleaner for the system in the long run. You should have more than enough bio filtration in your system with the rocks and sand in the display and the basic maintenance, like water changes, running carbon/phosban, proper skimmer, ect.

Last edited:

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Why do you put mud to simulate a DSB but not sand itself? Is there any research proving mud would provide a better surface area for beneficial bacteria than sand?

My statement in effect was saying we should choose the equally effective but more economical way to do things. Going the more expensive route just because you can do it is just foolish, IMO.

To me, we should choose the equally
what are you trying to accomplish with the extra sand/mud?

If your adding mud its to simulate a DSB, which apparently now isn't as beneficial as people thought it to be long run, and if not maintained can be bad for your tank. But mud needs to be changed out every once in a while. And it has to be set up correctly to work the right way, usually using a plenum system. But the mud will give the area the best surface area for beneficial bacteria to flourish. Ruling it out by saying "i don't use it because i heard its expensive" = the wrong way to look at things or tell people what they should do.

Sand your just basically adding more room for bacteria to populate and add some extra filtration. But with the very low sump flow rates dirt and crap tend to build up inside the sand usually giving you more trates and P04 than they remove in the long run without you stirring it every once in a while.

Or you can leave it empty. and just have that 5" of extra water which is cleaner for the system in the long run. You should have more than enough bio filtration in your system with the rocks and sand in the display and the basic maintenance, like water changes, running carbon/phosban, proper skimmer, ect.

InfernoST

"H" Division
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Why do you put mud to simulate a DSB but not sand itself? Is there any research proving mud would provide a better surface area for beneficial bacteria than sand?

My statement in effect was saying we should choose the equally effective but more economical way to do things. Going the more expensive route just because you can do it is just foolish, IMO.

To me, we should choose the equally
I'm with you on that 1, this hobby is expensive enough as it is, and as long as the savings doesn't have a negative impact on my tank its all good.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw a study on "miracle mud" a while back and the analysis showed there was absolutely nothing in it to suggest it was from the ocean.
there were pieces of red brick and some shiny man-made substance that appeared to be plastic shards in my container. IMO, it's from someone's backyard.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Sorry Yen, i completely read into your comment the wrong way. I fixed the reply.

The product isn't taken from the ocean, its pretty much made in a backyard, but done so to add and produce a certain affect thoughtfully. Ive never used it basically because its a system you have to set up and one more thing to possibly cause a problem if it goes wrong, plus its expensive. But its supposed to have trace minerals and a few other things. And everyone that uses it says its working great and reducing trates and adding extra filtration. And yes, more surface area for bacteria to populate, and the mud acts a different way with nitrogen bubbles and the way they are released. Its a better version of a argonite sand DSB.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: