dherrera83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
ziggy i know that :banghead:

But the gov took it away cause he didnt catch it with a rod and reel. So what i am saying is if its even possible to catch it with a rod and reel at that weight. I feel the rod or reel will break when pulling such a beast.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
ziggy i know that :banghead:

But the gov took it away cause he didnt catch it with a rod and reel. So what i am saying is if its even possible to catch it with a rod and reel at that weight. I feel the rod or reel will break when pulling such a beast.

Yea its possible with a rod and reel. Rods don't break because of the drag settings on the reels. It gives line to keep from breaking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
The law is pretty clear. The commercial tuna permit only covers rod and reel catches. What did he think would happened when he radioed the authorities to tell them he had a giant bluefin stuck in their net? He's lucky they didn't give him a major fine.
The "right" thing to do is to have a rod on the boat at all times. They could have landed the fish and said they caught it with rod/reel. No problem and you get to keep $$$

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
The law is pretty clear. The commercial tuna permit only covers rod and reel catches. What did he think would happened when he radioed the authorities to tell them he had a giant bluefin stuck in their net? He's lucky they didn't give him a major fine.
The "right" thing to do is to have a rod on the boat at all times. They could have landed the fish and said they caught it with rod/reel. No problem and you get to keep $$$

Agreed. Ignorance of the law is not a defense.

If you don't understand what is and isn't covered in your permit, maybe you shouldn't have one in the first place.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The tragedy is that the fish would have been dead by the time it hit the deck, or at best, dying. What's the guy supposed to do with it? Shovel it off the deck because its by-catch? Yes, he could (and maybe should) have stuck a hook in its mouth, or stabbed it with a harpoon. He made the mistake of being honest.

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
The tragedy is that the fish would have been dead by the time it hit the deck, or at best, dying. What's the guy supposed to do with it? Shovel it off the deck because its by-catch? Yes, he could (and maybe should) have stuck a hook in its mouth, or stabbed it with a harpoon. He made the mistake of being honest.

Absolutely right. It was net caught, so its done anyways. Would get dumped over like all the other bycatch due to fisheries management.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: